GO!

Can Anyone Help?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 6:08am PST 
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. Our family is going through a lot right now. This is the first violent death my daughters have had to deal with. It's great to know other people agree with me. Were still waiting to hear from the Ministry of Natural Resourses. I plan on doint everything I can to make these irresponsible men pay. They should not have guns if they cant properly handle them. After they come and determine the situation I'm knocking down all the tree stands on my property and cutting down there lookout tree.

I also wanted to let everyone know our puppy (you can barely call him a puppy, he's a giant.) is home from the vet. Surgery went well! He's not going to be able to walk for about 4 months. The vet put a steel plate in his leg but he should recover completely.

Thank you again everyone for caring.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 8:17am PST 
Here is a link to Ontario's regulations..not sure where you are.
lin
linky
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 8:24am PST 
This is truly horrible. I'm so sorry for your loss and trauma to your family. hug's to you all. Please keep us posted as to what happens to the hunters.
We have 11 acres, basically own the side of a mountain. I used to walk the dogs up there all the time. But I've found reminants (trash) of unknown hunters on the property. It's scary when hunting season is in because you don't know who/where they are.
Good luck and again, keep us posted. flowers
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 7:05pm PST 
Guest,
Once again our condolences. Your dogs should never have had to suffer this tragedy. It's good to know the puppy will recover. I'm just so glad neither you or your daughters were hurt. I certainly hope those "hunters" can be prosecuted and are never permitted to hunt again. I agree with Sanka as well that there is a huge difference between a black lab and a coyote. I also can't imagine how difficult it is to console your daughters while you yourself are dealing with the shock and grief of your own. Please keep us all posted on how you and your family are doing as well as your puppy's progress.hughughughughughug to all of you. Know too,that there is support for you anytime you need it.
[notify]
John

Sqeuaky?

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 8:03pm PST 
Oh your poor babies I can't imagine loosing any of my pets to such stupidity and violence.

I echo the responses on retaining a lawyer. Educate yourself on all the laws you can find regarding firearms, animal cruelty, trespassing, as well as tenant/landlord law. When you find them print them out and take them with you anytime you speak to an official or your lawyer, some officials will try to poo-poo you but if you can show them the legal letter of the law in black and white they have no wiggle room.

Do you rent out the entire property? or just a portion of your landlords land? If you rent the entire property(and I'm not sure about CAN laws) but unless there is a clause in your contract stating that the landlord retains the ability to let guests use the land for hunting then you also have a case against your landlord as rental property becomes your property and you have the right to say what comes on and off your property.

But above all you really need to get a lawyer, they will be able to guide you through the legal system and give you the tools and knowledge to fully obtain what recourse is available to you
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 8:51pm PST 
hughughughug I'm glad your puppy is going to be well. I hope you are able to get legal help and stop those too dumb to carry a gun hunters. I also hope that they have to pay the vet bills and try to compensate you. (I know it won't bring your dog backhug) but maybe it will help with hunter proofing your property.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Nov 20, '11 7:16am PST 
I'm sorry but I do not buy the hunter's "excuse." It sounds like they are just cruel, sadistic people who did not want to own up to shooting dogs because they didn't have anything else to shoot at.

Nobody mistakes a black lab for a coyote. They are bigger, the wrong color, and an entirely different build. Their rationale is preposterous and I hope they are brought to justice, since as far as I am concerned, they are guilty of first degree murder.

I avoid the first weekend of hunting season like the plague, I do not even go out to hunt myself then. All the idiots are out hunting then that will fire at anything that moves. I almost had a big doe the other day but did not fire because there was a house behind the doe. My slug would have hit the hill far, far, far, FAR in front of the house but it didn't matter to me. I don't ever fire in the direction of a house no matter where I "know" the bullet will hit if it misses or goes through the deer.

Edited by author Sun Nov 20, '11 7:19am PST

[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 3:00pm PST 
Any update. This is so disturbing...silenced
[notify]
Jaguar

Meow?

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 7:35pm PST 
I assume they came on your property afterwards to tell you their excuse. I woulda taken that chance to put a bullet in their neck.
"Oh! I'm sorry officers! They just came onto my property shooting and killed my dog! I didn't know who or what they were doing! I thought they were going to kill me or my family next!" silenced

They need stricter hunting laws and more people out to enforce them. Perhaps only allowing hunts in organized groups on approved land. =/ I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad the rest of your family (pup included) is going to be/ is okay.

Edited by author Fri Nov 25, '11 7:39pm PST

[notify]
Gunther

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 8:10pm PST 
I know a few people in Canada, and I know for a fact those hunters can be charged. Its not hard to distinguish black labs from coyotes. Also, discharging a weapon towards residential housing is another no no.

Report them and have them charged. Also, make them pay your vet bill in small claims as the dogs were on your property.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2