GO!

Restraining order against dog owner

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:16am PST 
I have two German Shorthairs that got into a confrontation with a Jack Russell. My dogs were backing away from the Jack and the Jack went after my dogs. I got bit and so did my dogs. The Jack also got bit. Anyway, after the dangerous dog charges were dropped from my dogs, this pet owner continues to walk her dog past my condo and aggitate everyone (including myself). My front door is about 6 feet from the sidewalk. Does anyone know if I can get a restraining order against this lady. If the shoe were one the other foot, I know I wouldn't be stupid enough to walk past. BTW...I have two very sweet and loveable GSP's. They were only protecting themselves.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:25am PST 
In that realm, no. She's just walking by on public property. If she's just walking by like that, you can't blame her for how your dogs react. That's on you.

If she's standing in front of your door and actually taunting, then maybe something could be done.
[notify]
Cooper

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 5:15pm PST 
I guess I should mention that she walks her dog past my place on a flexlead and lets the dog walk where it wants. My dogs only react when she walks past.
[notify]

Tesla

Bitsy Beast

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:06pm PST 
Well, I think restraining orders are usually something like the person cannot be within so many feet of you, or contact you in any way, etc. So I suppose a restraining order could prevent the person from walking past your house. However, I don't know if you have grounds to actually get a restraining order unless they've threatened you or you've had multiple incidents. I'm not sure exactly what the grounds are to get a retraining order.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 6:18pm PST 
I had to get what is called a peace bond on a neighbor for a similar problem but I had to wait until she actually threatened me and my dogs, reached over my fence at Sabi, screamed at me in front of all my other neighbors and lied to animal control. She said Sabi jumped the fence. When AC officer arrived he took one look at Sabi and asked me for the real story. If she breaches the peace bond they charge her with criminal harrassment.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Nov 13, '11 10:27pm PST 
Can you put up a small barrier like a decorative fence or hedge on the edge of your sidewalk so her dog can't walk in your yard? My dad had a big problem with people letting their dogs (on flexis) poop on his grassy front yard, the problem has stopped since he put in more landscaping, including a rock garden (with BIG rocks) bordering the sidewalk. No more wandering doggies! Owners let them go in a grassy yard, but not a shrubby, rocky one.

And maybe close your front blinds so your dogs can't see her go by?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 6:13am PST 
Bruno,
I was going to suggest the same thing. In my old neighborhood even that didn't stop a few people. That's when I would use the more direct approach and tell them I had enough to do cleaning up after mine and no longer felt like picking up their dogs mess and gave them a poopy bag to clean -up after their dog and take the mess home. Most got the hint after that. I admit it was extreme but several people seemed to think that they could let their dogs have all 25ft. of the flexi-lead and didn't care where the dog went as long as it wasn't at home in their own yard.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 7:10am PST 
Had a somewhat similar situation recently. I ended up getting a peace order, but like Sabi - I had been verbally threatened. I don't think them just walking by would do it.

I think a barrier of some sort might help - just garden fencing would do it...

I hate this kind of stuff and sorry you have to go through it.
[notify]
♥ Max- ♥

GSPs Rock

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 12:39pm PST 
Ohhh be still my heart! Another German Shorthair Pointer lover cheercheer Big hugs to you and them.

I would NOT close my blinds or limit your GSPs in anyway. Your dogs are not the problem - her pup is. Probably not well socialized. I would, however, be vigilent; and if she allows her dog to access the grass area which may NOT be public property; I'd call the police. Seriously, because that's trespassing and maybe if she gets a little scare she'll back away. Can you get some photographs? But be careful, there are those crazy people out there who may retaliate against your dogs - I would proceed with caution but maintain a vigilent stance.

If the above is not something you're comfortable with than you may simply ignore and avoid her and wait for her to tire of her juvenile antics. So sorry your sweet pups had such an encounter.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 5:09pm PST 
What about a no-trespassing sign. I don't live in the city, so I'm not sure how it works. But in the country, no-trespassing signs can get you arrested.... thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2