GO!

Help! I need to confess to my landlord. I have a dog!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
♥- Tucker- ♥

GSPs Rock!

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 12:46pm PST 
If you're worried in the slightest that the landlord will request you to 'get rid' of the pup or the property is not pet friendly ... When you approach the homeowner to discuss the work that needs to be done, just find out the dates and time the work is going to be provided. Once you've gotten that info, you can bring your pup to a doggie daycare for the day.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 5:30pm PST 
Guest,
You could try doing as Tucker suggested however,I personally think that's the wrong approach and more likely to cause an issue for you in the long run. What if you "hide" the dog at daycare and get caught anyway? Not in my opinion the best way to get a reference as a good tennant with a future landlord. I really think coming clean is the best option. Try drafting that pet agreement as a starting point and be willing to negotiate specific terms,get a renters policy,have the house and yard clean and in good order as a show of faith,either get statements from or allow the landlord to speak to neighbors to see that there are no issues,have paperwork and if possible a statement from your vet that the dog recieves proper care,apologize for not getting permission and introduce the dog to the landlord,if you have otherwise been a good tennant the landlord may be more forgiving and allow both you and the dog to stay. I think it would be far better to have your current landlord,if you must leave that you were a good tennant but violated the no pets part of your lease,than to have him/her tell a perspective new landlord that not only did you violate the no pets clause of your lease but you're a liar and sneaky as well.
If I were a potential landlord,I would be far more willing to take a chance on someone who just unexpectedly got a dog and came clean about it than someone who not only violated that part of the lease but tried to continue to be deceptive by hiding the dog,and sneaking it in and out of the house behind someone's back. Just a thought is it in anyway possible that the landlord already knows? Could a neighbor have already mentioned it and the landlord is waiting to see how you handle the situation? Just considering possibilities. Good Luck!!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 10:35pm PST 
I think you better tell your landlord and offer a pet deposit quick smart. Or not get the work done and hope no one ever finds out - because I can see the landlord hitting the roof, I really can. You should always ask for a pet clause to be put into your lease in the future, for reference. My rental didn't allow pets either, but I asked, assured the landlord any damage incurred would be paid for and I was allowed permission for one dog. Always ask in the future because not doing so can be more painful than never owning a dog at all.

I hope you don't lose your dog or your home over this, but line up something just in case.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3