GO!

Shame on Denton Texas! Poor puppy

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 11:48am PST 
" What happened to make the laws so messed up that murderers can go and sue the very people they tried to kill if they should happen to injure themselves in the act?"

Lawyers. The ones that look for someone to sue so that they can get a percentage of the award. I happen to live in such a state. If a burglar enters your house, it's better to kill them than to just injure them. They can sue if injured, either by you or even if they were injured on your stairs or porch. If dead and you can prove they were trespassing with intent to harm, it's not wrongful death, it's justifiable homicide.

That poor puppy in Denton...good luck in getting a legal resolution. It sounds like AC is seriously messed up there right now with regard to their procedure.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 4:13pm PST 
Yes, it would be nice to have a visual marker (ear tag) showcasing which people are violent, like to steal, are sex offenders.

Oh but wait...no, we don't do that to people because that's inhumane.confused

You can't blame the lawyers for the stupid stuff. Blame the people who rule in favor of the stupid stuff.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 7:10pm PST 
Years ago I had a man climb in my bedroom window while I was sleeping. Sadly my bed was under the window and my Great Dane slept on my bed. Long story short he stepped on the dog, realized his mistake, climbed back out with the dog on his heels. I called 911 to report it and the first thing the guy said to me was " if your dog bites him he could sue". Nice society we live in.
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 7:35pm PST 
He could sue, people can sue for anything, but in most municipalities, the judge would throw that case out the window as soon as the case crossed his desk.

One of the reasons I'm never living in California. The things they award people damages for there are outrageous.

Anyway that's why I sleep with a loaded Glock 22 nearby. Castle laws reign supreme in most US states and I'm not about to be caught unawares by someone who means me, my family, or my property harm.

Edited by author Mon Nov 7, '11 7:38pm PST

[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 3:26am PST 
In areas (like Australia) where we cant keep a loaded gun in the house, keep a rape whistle near by. Mine looks like a lipstick case with a gold top on it. 100 decibels in a pocket sized accessory look-a-like. I take it when I walk my dog for his sake not mine.

Foxxy, depending on how big that hole is, it wont close up I'm sorry to say. Did he loose puppy teeth or adult teeth?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 6:24am PST 
I'd rather not deal with a gun, but I do keep a baseball bat ready and waiting.

If a guy comes into my house, and I unload on him with a bat, there's no way in heck he'll get any money from me suing for damages. If same dude comes in and my dog unloads on him, there's no way in heck he'll get any money from me again.

The concept is still the same. I'm not labeled as aggressive for beating an intruder with a bat. A dog should not be labeled aggressive for biting an intruder...an intruder who stabbed him nonetheless.

It is, however, incredibly scary what does get ruled in favor for. But I do agree, cases where the burglar sues for damages rarely rule in the burglar's favor. The term is frivolous litigation.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 8:37am PST 
I remember a case where a burglar/trespasser who misstepped, fell through a skylight and proceeded to sue the hell out of the owners. Nice.

That poor pup. Ignorance and political wrangling are never a good combination. I'm also surprised this was in Texas of all places. There's a reason I put up "Bad Dog" signs around the property. (Florida law says that if you put up a 'Bad Dog' sign or something of the equivalent on the entrances and someone trespasses you're not liable for them getting bitten criminally. They can try to sue civilly but unless the dog maims the person beyond all recognition they're hard cases to win. They usually try to prove that they were invited to the property which changes the whole argument and makes it a lot more expensive.)

Edited by author Tue Nov 8, '11 8:42am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 6:52am PST 
Lawyers help to craft the laws here. Don't forget many legislators were layers at one time. And they are the ones in my state who benefit from bringing such lawsuits forward, in fact they often solicit for those cases. So yes, IMHO in my state I can blame the lawyers in large part for the fact that burglars can successfully bring suit even if they are committing a crime.

Those burglar lawsuit cases I mentioned were found in favor of the burglars in my state. They were awarded thousands in damages. They are not thrown out as frivolous suits here, sadly. My friend's mother beat a burglar with an ice skate after he broke in to her home. She did a lot of damage, and a lawyer convinced the crook to sue her for it. Her lawyer told her she would have been better off if she'd just killed the guy. States differ greatly on how lawsuits are handled and how damages are awarded. No castle rule in these parts...

OP: any update on the Denton pup?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 3:57pm PST 
I wouldn't doubt that at all Lucille. It's quite sad.

Hurt them so they leave and end up paying them thousands of dollars for breaking into your home or kill them and live with that memory for the rest of your life. Either way, you lose. Not to mention the mental trauma from the experience to.

Well, shoot...sue for that. It'll just be a giant sue circle and in the end, everybody pays somebody something and everybody gets payment from somebody. That's all we want, right? It all comes down to money.naughty

There's a point where common sense needs to enter the law system.

I mean, if you break into someone's home and they shoot you in the legs and then torture you while waiting for the cops to show up, then you can sue. The torture was unnecessary. But sue them for beating you to leave? No sir/ma'am. People get killed in all sorts of crime. They don't know the criminal's intent. The poor teenage girl that got stabbed to death after supposedly walking in on a burglary...that stuff. That stuff goes through your mind when you're face to face with a criminal. All damage to them was their doing, doesn't matter if I was the one beating them with an ice skate. For what I am doing is ensuring I live. They brought it on themselves.

Might as well jump in a lion enclosure at a zoo, get chomped on by a lion and then sue the zoo for you being an idiot.

I mean, where does it end?
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3