GO!

CALIFORNIA Medical Exemption Signed into Law

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 11:09am PST 
California Rabies Medical Exemption Signed into Law

On Friday, October 7, 2011, California's Governor signed a rabies medical exemption into law, Molly's Bill (AB 258), , http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_258_bil l_20111007_chaptered.html . California is the 14th state to do so.

Please copy & paste link into browser if it doesn't work by clicking on it.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST
[notify]
Miles

Miles the Wonder- Pup

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:36pm PST 
I'm sorry...but not vaccinating a dog against rabies is terribly, terribly irresponsible. I think it is a big bunch of malarky to have a "medically" exempt dog. Unless your dog is so allergic to the vaccine, it will die, then I see no point in not vaccinating. Most vaccine reactions can be taken care of with benadryl or other precautions. Medical exemption is almost always malarky! confused

Edited by moderator Sun Oct 9, '11 4:00pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:44pm PST 
You know Miles, that is probably pretty offensive to those dogsters whose dogs have almost died form the rabies vaccine. Or one recently that suffered nerve damage.

If you live in CA and don't like the law-feel free to lobby your lawmakers. Otherwise, understand a lot of dog owners in CA are today thankful that they don't have to sneak around worrying about their dogs being illegal without a vaccine since they can not give it to them.
[notify]

Miles

Miles the Wonder- Pup

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:46pm PST 
Did you even read my entire post? Obviously not or you wouldn't have felt the need to respond the way you did. I said unless a dog is SEVERELY allergic to the vaccine, I don't think a medical expemption is necessary. Slightly allergic dogs should not be exempt from the vaccine. However, even exempting the severely allergic dogs worries me. I don't want anything to do with a dog that is not vaccinated against rabies! confused
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:51pm PST 
Yeah I read your post.

"Medical exemption is almost always malarky!"

That last line pretty much sums up your opinion pretty clearly. You basically are calling dog owners with medical problem liars.

"I think it is a big bunch of malarky to have a "medically" exempt dog."

Yet another line where you basically are calling medical exemptions lies.

The one line you have that says it might be ok if your dog might die doesn't include a number of other serious health effects from the vaccine that do not include death, but are quite serious to the dog and owner.

So, you either mostly think those dog owners who need an exemption are liars, or you have chosen to speak out without educating yourself first. This line "I don't want anything to do with a dog that is not vaccinated against rabies!" pretty much lets me know its the second option.

Edited by moderator Sun Oct 9, '11 4:01pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Rodgers

I Eat German- Shepherds for- Lunch

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:55pm PST 
Hiwave We're new here and wanted to chime in. I'm kind of glad that dogs who are allergic to the rabies vaccine will not have to be vaccinated, but aren't there other ways around this? The vet always gives Rodgers a shot of Benedryl before he gets his yearlies. I've only ever heard of one dog being allergic to the rabies vaccine, anyway. It does kind of worry me, too, that dogs are walking around unvaccinated. I don't want Rodgers around any unvaccinated dogs and I certainly don't want to be around them myself. I'm not just talking about rabies, but all vaccines. But, rabies is definitely the most scary for me. Unless Rodgers would like die if he was vaccinated for rabies, I would always vaccinate him because having an unvaccinated dog just isn't safe for them, other dogs, yourself, or the community at large.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 4:08pm PST 
Look, vaccine have been beat to death on this board. And I'm actually more on the pro-vaccine side than most.

but.. "before he gets his yearlies."

If your vet is still making your dog get yearly vaccines-then your vet isn't up to date on the "newer" vaccine schedules. More than likely he is either manipulating his patients because he doesn't trust you enough to make sure your dog gets a yearly checkup, he is completely lacking in continuing education and keeping up to date, or he wants your money. None of those are things I want in a vet.

If you would like to further educate yourselves on vaccines, I'd look through tot read some of the thread here. you will learn a lot of new things. If you don't, then at least try to be nice and not offend those of us who do research these things rather than blindly doing it as it has always been done (even if it isn't necessarily best).
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 4:23pm PST 
The last time my dog got a rabies shot (and that was the last one I will EVER give him) it screwed up his head for about three months. Did not act right, was not himself. Almost like another personality. If you read about the behavioral symptoms of low thyroid, it was similar to that.

And I think it would have been a LOT longer healing time if I hadn't taken him to a trainer and tried to work around the issues it caused him.

I will NOT be so cruel a person as to put my dog through that again. I'm not worried about my dog contracting it at all, he would be just as safe from rabies unvaccinated as he would vaccinated (particularly since the rabies vaccine likely lasts at least 5-7 years, minimum, I believe it lasts a lifetime).

What I am worried about is screwing him up so badly that there is no coming back from it. And the way it made him act, euthanasia was discussed (NOT by me...) because he couldn't be trusted.

Never.

Again.

Edited by author Sun Oct 9, '11 4:25pm PST

[notify]
b

zzzzzzzz...

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 5:31pm PST 
Yay!

Very glad! We can finally be on the legal side with Lantis now. smile

BTW, vaccine reactions aren't the only reason not to get vaccines. Vaccines are, by manufacturer label, supposed to be given to 'healthy' animals. Animals who have had cancer or any other disease like such are not 'healthy' and should not have vaccines.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 7:42pm PST 
Excellent for everyone in California, now if all of the states that don't have this could follow suit!

I also wanted to mention, it is the weekend.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2