GO!

People who let their dogs walk off leash near roads?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Hmmm

What? You said- something?

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 8:39pm PST 
I see a lot people walking their dogs off-leash in the neighborhood and it totally freaks me out. About a year or so ago I saw a man walking with his beautiful Samoyed off leash. The dog was always well behaved and obedient but he saw another dog across the street that he had met before and ran across to say hello. The poor dog was hit and killed. To be honest, the beautiful white fur stained from the collision still horrifies me.

I never let my dog off leash unless we're in a fenced in environment and I doubt I ever will let my dog off leash on sidewalks, even when there appears to be no cars. I also make it my personal duty to tell people (not random people mind you) that story or at least share my concern when I see them walking their loose dogs. Half the time I just get "polite" rude remarks from saying their dog would never be so "stupid". As if only "stupid" dogs would mistake of crossing the street at the wrong time.

What are your points of views about it?

Edited by author Thu Sep 29, '11 4:00pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 9:00pm PST 
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I live in a big city near a busy road and I constantly tell people to leash their dogs. Usually I get told off for it . I do not understand how anyone can be so dense. We would not need leash laws if people weren't so..... never mind. Keep telling people.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 9:24pm PST 
There must be a trend going on or something. I've seen it twice this week already. Always with a pitbull, these thug/rapper wannabees with an off leash dog that keeps coming off the sidewalk unto a busy street.
Today I saw this guy walking with a 5 week old pitbull puppy just barely trailing behind him. Theres no way any dog, especially a pup that young should be walking near a busy road off leash. Of course no collar either. confused
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 10:34pm PST 
Sometimes I think I'm the only person in my town who bothers with a lead at all. No one seems to; and I've seen dogs run out into traffic and their owners not even bother calling them back.

Another one of my peeves is people who let their offlead dogs run up to yours uninvited. Yesterday I was walking in the offlead park area and all of a sudden a 10lb bag of flying fur was leaping at my dog. This dog has done this before and 'plays' by biting my dog in the face. He was tolerating it and trying to play back but I could see it ending badly, esepcially if he nipped or something - the old lady just stood there calling its name and not moving so I had to LEASH her dog for her with my own and bring it back. I tell you what thought it went to heel pretty snappy when I told it to lol.

Then it bit my husband while she was telling us how 'beautifully natured' it is - *sigh!* She hopes they might 'play again' sometime. Hide me!
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 10:41pm PST 
Pet peeve of mine, as well. People in this area like speeding down streets (not the high way, back roads and what not) and will even speed right past my neighborhood. It's unsettling because I wonder what would happen if one of my dogs slipped their collar or leash and ran into the road. I almost lost Sandy once during such an incident. Invested in a harness, but it's still possible. All these precautions I take and I see people walking their dogs off leash like it's nothing. Sometimes the dog will be five feet or more in front of or behind them. All it takes is a second. That's all it takes for something to happen. I've tried telling people this. They always either tell me "Oh, my dog won't run into the road like that!" (while they're dog is playing in the road or walk feet ahead or behind) or get defensive. One person even got into an argument with me when I told him there are leash laws. I didn't say it rudely or anything, just casually mentioned it and mentioned that cars speed down his road all the time and mentioned that I'd seen a dog lying on the side of said road. Sometimes, the dog will be prancing nicely at his owners side but even then, it's unsettling.

ETA: Lilo walks well off leash. I know this because once, she slipped her collar some how during a walk (probably while she was 'doing her business' in the field) and remained nicely at my side until we got home... and I noticed her collar wasn't on her neck. I still wouldn't trust it, though.

Edited by author Wed Sep 28, '11 10:42pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 10:49pm PST 
I keep saying it. The best behaved dog in the world is going to disobey you at some point and I can promise it will be at the worst possible moment.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 11:04pm PST 
Sabi, you are so right. I thought my dog's recall was the best in the world until they day he ran out of the park, onto the road and tried to jump on the tray of a ute. And I had worked very hard at guaranteeing hundred percent recall. No dog is perfect; accidents do and will happen, walking around with an offlead dog is like playing Russian Roulette. I saw a dog on the side of the road yesterday, one who has been taking himself for 'walks' with his doggy friend (no human in sight) for as long as I've lived in my town. He seemed 'road smart' and always walked on the side - but clearly his luck ran out.

It might happen straight away, or not for years, but eventually a dog will run at something, or go to meet a friend like that poor Samoyed, or even be hit by a car running up the curb. It's a guileless way to risk your pet - especially when there are dog parks to free run your dogs these days.

Often I think it comes down to plain laziness - perhaps the dog tugs and they don't want to bother with training it out of the behavior, or just holding a lead is too damn hard.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 11:20pm PST 
The way I look at a lot of things is risk vs. reward.

Yeah, it's fun to be off-lead! But is it worth having a dead dog?

To me, never.

One I see a lot is the dog walking on and off the sidewalk. Trot trot. Off trot trot. On trot trot. People are so terrible to their pets.
[notify]
Yuki

Gimme belly- rubs!

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 11:34pm PST 
The people around my neighborhood are terrible about letting their dogs off leash while walking them. Though I think the utmost pet peeve of mine is people who let their dogs out unsupervised to run around the area. Lets keep in mind some of the people who are terrible about it do have fenced in back yards. I've seen so many close calls with these dogs around here. I've also seen and heard of accidents. There's a little beagle/JRT mix down my road that had been hit a couple of times.. Luckily she survived somehow or another.

If I say anything they either act like I am dumb or take the offense.

I guess they feel it's fine because it's a suburb here. Unfortunately people get thrills of speeding around the curves.

My husband and I always use leash even though I'm sure my dogs would be great off-leash. We just don't want to take the chance of something bad happening.
[notify]
Oscar

Weenies =- Happiness

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 12:14am PST 
OMG I seriously hate when people do this! I just keep thinking if that dog saw a cat or a squirrel and they would be across the road and dead in the blink of an eye. Plus, I hate walking my dogs when there are offleash dogs. The offleash dog always comes running up to my dogs and gets absolutely in their face. Oscar and Booney hate this! Booney will growl, but Oscar will actually snap. But, can you blame him? He is an 11 lb Dachshund and this giant Great Dane X gets in his face, stepping over him, and just being so rude. Then, it is my fault that my dog snapped! Of course it isn't the fault of the owner who can't control their dog or at the very least keep it on a leash! It makes me want to scream!!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5