GO!

Pitbulls just lost their licence to exist . . . Premier of Victoria's words.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Wed Oct 26, '11 10:35pm PST 
I live in a high-pittie population area and I can tell you first hand so often it is the owners who create the problem which everyone already knows. One of my coworkers told me he "trained" his female pit-mix and when I said I was impressed he was into dog obedience he stared at me and said "No, she'll attack anyone who tries to get into our place." But, he assured me, he never fought her with other dogs, even though his neighbor wanted him to against his dog. And this is a well-educated and seemingly intelligent man with three children. If you met him on the street and struck up a conversation you would NEVER know he thought like that. I was floored when he told me that he was basically setting up on environment that invited his children to be hurt.

Another coworker said he wanted to get a dog and train them to "be mean" and wanted a "mean looking dog" so no one would bother him or break into his apartment. He was talking about getting a Rottie puppy and basically described how he would abuse it to make it mean - but he'd make sure it wasn't mean to him or he'd "teach it a lesson" which involved more abuse. I'm 80% sure I talked him out of it since he's not an animal person in the first place but the only way he would see even a little bit of reason was went I mentioned how much food my big dog eats, who's only 65 lbs, and compared that to how much a full-grown Rottie would eat.

Whenever I would tell funny (to me) stories of Dingo's destruction of things, this same man always made a comment about how if Dingo were his dog, he'd beat him to put some sense into him. I stopped telling the stories because I physically could not handle him blithely telling me the way he'd deal with my sweet, goofy guy was with his fists or a handy object.

It's ingrained into the very cultural fabric in some areas, that a dog needs to be vicious or mean to be useful. It's not a pet, but a tool, like a living, breathing loaded gun that roams around and fires itself. Sadly, it's the dog and the dog's breed that takes the brunt, not the people. And a lot of these dogs aren't involved in fighting or even trained to fight; they're trained, in a twisted way, to be guard dogs but not in a controlled way like professionally trained protection dogs.

Ok, I'm done, but it just gets me SO mad that people twist a breed so violently into a mockery of their former selves and it's the dogs, who are truly the victims, as much as the people they attack.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Thu Oct 27, '11 6:00am PST 
When will people understand that it isn't the dog, but the people owning the dog.

"If you take a pitbull right out of the community, ban it, Get rid of every pitbull tomorrow, those idiots will just go and buy another dog.

"It's not a breed issue, it is about responsibility of ownership and it's about education," he told ABC Local Radio.

So so true! It used to be Dobermans and GSD then they started banning them so people turned to the bully breeds they are banning them, which breed is next?
I think there should be a law requiring people to have to pass some sort of test to be able to own a dog, training should be a REQUIREMENT not an option. I have a lot of other opinions but I won't get in to that.

It's sad the loss of the little girl, but if the dogs OWNER had taken on her responsibility that dog would not have been loose and able to do that.
[notify]
Jazz

Barked: Mon Oct 31, '11 10:25pm PST 
This is a horrible story and the owners of the dog need to be held responsible. A few months ago my pit got loose and ran away. She was picked up by a concerned woman and taken down to the police station, who we had already contacted, and when we picked her up she had already made friends out of all the people at the station. While it was regrettable that she got loose I'm happy to say she won over many people by how well behaved and friendly she is.
[notify]

Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 2:49am PST 
In the U.S., Denver, Colorado and Cincinnati Ohio have BSL in place. Denver really has gone overboard perpetuating the myths that pitties, pitty mixes will rip everyone from shred to shred. I'm active with a resuce group and our pit bull division hosted a screening of a documentary "Beyond the Myth" this past weekend. There was not a dry eye in the theater in watching the attrocities that are happening to these wonderful animals just because of how they look.
If you would like to see what is happening (and going to spread if this is allowed to continue), take a quick peek at beyondthemythmovie.com. The lady who produced it is an independent film producer and did a great job sharing what's happening.
So very, very sad.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 10:59am PST 
What a horrible story! So many questions...
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2