GO!

Pitbulls just lost their licence to exist . . . Premier of Victoria's words.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 12:44am PST 
Sad, so sad, horrible story.

Pitbull tears girl from mother's leg
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 5:32am PST 
How terrible!!! At least even the official spokesperson knows it's the owners and not the breed. It's a shame when things like this happen. So sorry for the little girls family and the dog's owner as well.
[notify]
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 10:19am PST 
So sad.

But this:

"Superintendent Kent says police are trying to work out how the dog got loose.

"I don't mind saying, I hate seeing these dogs walking the streets. They look mean, they usually are," he said."

Ugh.
[notify]

Isabella- "Bella"

I love you. And- you. And you.- And you.

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '11 11:06am PST 
ITS A FREAKEN PIT/MASTIFF CROSS! If IT WERE PURE, IT WOULD LIKELY HAVE BEEN LESS LIKELY TO DO THIS!
Pitbulls in history couldnt be human aggressive. It was bred out of them. It is likely there is a LOT more to this story. What was the health state of this animal? Was it trained to fear, attack, or love people? Was it provoked? We need more info from a professional. We also need to see a Pit Bull expert to verify tht it was indeed a pitty. The owner needs to be held responsible, and it saddens me that ignorance is blocking reasoning and thought. >frown

Blame the Deed not the Breed.
Give a Pit Bull a try
before sentencing them all to
Die.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 11:38pm PST 
I thought people would like to know that the police now have the right to seize any pitbull/cross/bully/americanstaff/bull terrier and kill it if it has not been registered as a dangerous dog by September 30. No matter was the dog has done -- even if it is gentle, it will need to be leashed at all times (allowing it free run can result in it being taken and impounded/killed) and must where a fluro collar specifying it is dangerous and a muzzle. There is a 'dob a pitbull' line where your neighbors can report you for even owning one and the police have every right to take it away if you haven't complied.

Also, the irresponsible owners who give these animals a bad rap are now dumping their dogs on the street to avoid the high registration fees -- 4 have been found wandering 'at large' (abandoned) this week. 10 were given to shelters, 4 rehomed, 6 killed.

I am absolutely speechless and know this is only the beginning. They're moving to add other breeds to the 'seize or register' list - rotts, germans and mals will be next, I'm sure. (actually I think rotts might already be on it - last week a kelpie/rott bit his owner and even though he begged them not to take it away I think they did.)

And yes, that was not a pure bred pittie - they are rare in this country, you hardly ever see pure Americans. BSL had always been wavering in the background but it has hit with full force now - they want to destroy the breed here completely so the government seems like it's doing 'something'. So ill informed and just driving the breeding of these dogs further underground. So, so stupid.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 5:20am PST 
Sad that the ignorance of people will prove to be the downfall of a dog. I have no issues with pits I just can't stand the people the breed/type seems to attract. BSL is a slippery slope and the blind masses seem oblivious to this. It has long been a beef of mine that the dogs the media labels as pits seldom are. I wish someone would wake up before we are not allowed to own DOGS at all.
[notify]
Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 6:42am PST 
That is what frustrates me so much!!! It is the owner's irresponsible behavior that escapes notice. Everyone wants to blame the dog.Why not find the dog a good home in capable hands and punish the one with whom the blame truly lies...the idiot who didn't bother to train or socialize the dog properly.Ugh!!!!!
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 7:24am PST 
That's insane...I hope the premier is getting a ton of bad press and won't be re-elected again.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 9:05pm PST 
This has made him very popular sadly Angel I'm sure he will get re-elected again as the opposition has the same stance anyway. I have heard so much anti-pit sentiment lately it just saddens me so much; I wish I kept a picture in the paper they put in of a pit with its mouth just hanging open which labeled it as 'vicious dog'. Because it was panting and you could see its teeth. Heavens.

Owners of dogs that maim/kill will get up to 4 years prison which I do AGREE with; they should have stopped it there and banned the person from keeping an animal again. So sorry this has happened to the poor breed as it is the people they attract that do the damage. frown Our family dog is a pit and I worry now when my mum walks him without a lead on the park behind the house because if someone saw her he could be taken away; a big gentle palooka who gets beaten up by a kelpie and is afraid of my 20 year old cat. Just madness. I HATE BSL so much, I'm so angry I wish there was something I could do here. frown
[notify]
Jif (In- Loving- Memory)

The Defintion of- FUN

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 8:35pm PST 
I praise Colin Muir, the president of the American Pit Bull Cub of Australia, for his comments. At least someone in that article had some sense.

As for Superintendent Kent. Yout think Pits look mean? Say that comment to my face and I'll show you what mean looks like!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2