GO!

Fake Euthanising?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 9:15am PST 
The botched euth thread got me thinking. I remember someone telling me when I was walking my dogs that his daughter loves animals and works for a vet clinic. She takes home animals that have come in for euthanasia. The young, old and sick etc

Now, I brought this up to the trainer I am using with Lincoln and she told me that her sister once brought in her 6 year old mutt to be euthanized because the seizures were getting to hard to handle and the dog was getting them 4-5 times a day even with medication. She paid for the appointment and the vet did put her down in front of her..but..he didnt really put her down. She found out that 3 months later she went into the vet to pick up some papers and she saw the dog the vet had euthanized in the wiating room with a new owner very well alive.

Is this right? that someone who trusts a vet to euthanize their beloved pet for whatever reason turn around and fake it and give the dog to a new home? They proved it was the same dog based on her microchip and the fact it was still in the origional owners name.

This has gotten me pretty leery of euthanizing any of mine when the time comes. I mean all it would take is the vet to not agree with why I have chosen to euthanize. So I thought I would ask here what everyone else thought.
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 9:58am PST 
I understand not euth'ing a dog/cat if the owner is an idiot wanting their HEALTHY pet euth'd for no reason, but CHARGING, and not actually going through with it, someone who takes good care of their dog, and whose dog is SICK?!?!?!? That's an outrage!

I, too, have doubts about euth'ing when the time comes. Unless Winnie is in complete pain, and suffering immensely, I've heard soooo many horror stories about vets and euth'ing.

Edited by author Thu Oct 14, '10 9:59am PST

[notify]
Our Gang

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 10:30am PST 
That would be highly illegal and the vet could face serious sanctions
[notify]

Luna

little miss- happy tail

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 10:42am PST 
No, that is most certainly not right. Fortunately, the dogs in my past have died at home from natural causes so I have never had to make the decision whether or not to euthanize. BUT if I did, and got myself prepared, cried for days, had a broken heart because I missed my baby THEN turn around to find my dog was not gone, and was in fact, SOLD or "rescued" again.... I would be LIVID. Can you imagine the flood of emotions that someone goes through in that situation?

While is is very sad that dogs are put down every day because the owner can no longer afford their vet care, or whatever reason it may be, it would be very wrong of the vet and nurses to fake a euth. At least ask the owner if they would mind surrendering the dog over to a rescue first.
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 11:43am PST 
Okay, I didnt think it seemed right either. I mean, if I paid for my dog to be euthanized for whatever reason I chose and I found out they didnt euthanize him I think I would probably end up going after his license to practice. I guess one way to make sure it gets done with me is request to take your dog home for burial or to the spca for cremation (cheaper there).

If they dont feel right to euthanize then they should just refuse to, rather then lie about it.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 11:49am PST 
If this story is indeed true then this vet should have been reported to the authorities and their license revoked. This is never ok to do and should never be occuring.

Euthanasia is the best gift we can give our ailing friends. If performed correctly it is not painful. We place IV catheters in all of out euthanasias to ensure easily pain free euthanasias. We also often give a dose of propofol prior to euthanasia to help ease the pet into a plane of anesthesia prior to euthanasia. This often helps for a easier transition.
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 12:51pm PST 
Yeah I didnt know they use IVs. Any of the ones I have had to put down where a needle in the arm and that was it.

Now this goes onto the vet not wanting to euthanize. I mean, lets say this dog was yours, this dog had 4-5 seizures a day and took almost 30 minutes to recover from each one. This dog was suffering and the owners felt the best thing would be to euthanize. But the vet says well I would rather try other meds and try this and try that so no I will not euthanize your dog. Is that fair? If the owner has already put thousands into the dog and any other treatment or therapy tried before was unsuccessful or was for a couple weeks then reverted? In the end isnt it our decision on whats best for our "property" being the legal term? I can understand if the dog was healthy physical and behavoirally and they just wanted to euthanize him because they didnt want anyone else to have him..thats wrong.

Or my one friends Boxer, this dog would have sudden rages. It would be fine one minute and would attack you then next. These episodes would last 5-10 seconds and he would be back to his loving self once again. These episodes got worse and worse each week to the point where she was terrified to be around him and feared the safety of her other Boxers. She had behavoirists come in, trainers and all couldnt work with him. Her vet suggested a $3500 cat scan to scan the brain, she refused because if it was a tumour he would have to be PTS anyway. They tested the thyroid, tested this and that and found nothing. The vet refused to euthanize the dog because he wanted more testing. One vet wanted her to sign the dog over to be a blood donor do the rest of its life (it was 3-5 at the time) and the one vet tech wanted the dog and she was going to let it live the rest of his life in an outdoor kennel away from people and other dogs, my friend refused because she didnt feel comfortable with that idea or letting the dog go to someone else knowing his issues.

She eventually found a vet to euthanize...I mean, what else was she going to do. The dog would of been signed over to the spca it would of died a death without love. It may of been placed in a home after they assume the dog is fine (which it was) but not during these episodes.

I just dont get it, You know how I would feel if I brought my faithful companion into the vet to be PTS, then learning accidently that they never did euthanize my dog but rather knocked him out and told me he was dead, only to revive him and rehome him because their personal opinion conflicted with mine? I dont think I can describe how that would make me feel...
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 1:03pm PST 
I used to work for a vet clinic, one lady brought in a 6 month old puppy that she wanted euthanized because it didnt match her furniture any more and went to the bathroom on her carpet. We charged her for the euth and rehomed the dog. He is happy and healthy to this day. And his new family doesnt care that he doesnt match the furniture, and he is now fully house broken
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 1:09pm PST 
She seriously brought her dog in to be euthanized because it didnt match her furniture? Thats...sick. Okay in a situation like that, I would think its okay because there was nothing wrong with the puppy. Did you ask her to just sign the puppy over first? Or did you just not wish to argue with her.
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Thu Oct 14, '10 1:19pm PST 
I know of a foster cat that the owner had put as much time and money into as she wanted and still the cat peed in the sink, so she was going to have it euthed. The vets office called the org I volunteer for and we agreed to take the cat and do some more minimal testing (turned out to be crystals in the cat's urine). They talked to the owner and she signed the surrender form and was relieved about not putting the cat down. I think this would be the only situation (where the owner has given consent) where the animal shouldn't be euthed if it's truly what the owner wanted. Some owners just don't think they have a choice (or don't want to search for one), but then vets could do something like what happened in that situation.
I can't imagine knowing a euth had been faked about your pet. I hope to be a vet and I would never do anything like that, EVER.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4