GO!

Puppy Mill -- Paws 'R' Us

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sat Sep 30, '06 8:43am PST 
Did anypup here come from Paws 'R' Us?

Breeder, owner get into legal dogfight
Online postings spark outrage; Golden retriever's medical problems, as well as veterinarian bills, made available on Web

CHERYL CORNACCHIA
The Gazette

Saturday, September 30, 2006

After an Ottawa judge failed to bring about a settlement, a Quebec dog breeder and an Ontario dog owner vowed yesterday to take their fight to Ontario Superior Court.

The case, which is proving to be a legal dogfight, revolves around online posts left at www.pets.ca, a Canadian website for pet owners.

In August 2005, Lorie Gordon posted a series of messages about Blaze, a golden retriever she had purchased from Paws R Us, a commercial breeding operation in Shawville.

"The only way we could settle this is if I was to give them $10,000, and there's no way," said Gordon, 40, of Brockville, Ont.

She said she has veterinary bills to prove her case and 15 people waiting to testify along with her.

"They're lies," retorted Nicole Labombard, who with her parents, Charlene and James Labombard, owns Paws R Us.

The legal battle has sparked widespread interest from animal lovers and Internet users keen on knowing what one can and cannot say on the Web.

Ottawa lawyer Luc Barrick said yesterday the trial is expected to settle several issues, including what a puppy mill is and whether pets should be considered as more than property under the law.

Barrick, who is representing Labombard, said the pre-trial judge found that what Gordon posted online was defamatory and was uttered to harm Paws R Us.

He added, however, that if Gordon's comments are proven to be based in fact, they could be considered "fair comment."

In August 2005, Gordon posted messages at www.pets.ca saying Paws R Us had sold her a sick dog. She detailed medical problems suffered by the golden retriever she named Blaze, including bouts with a skin disease and epilepsy, as well as her veterinary bills.

When Labombard learned about the online messages, she and her mother had the posts removed from the website and sued Gordon for damages.

They contend Gordon hurt their family business and are demanding about $9,500 in lost sales.

In a countersuit, Gordon is demanding the Labombards pay her dog's veterinary bills, which amount to thousands of dollars.

As both sides aired their grievances at the pre-trial hearing, Marko Kulik, the Montreal website administrator of www.pets.ca, said he is keen to hear a judgment but happy not to be part of the court case.

Kulik started www.pets.ca in 1999 and said the site now receives as many as 8,000 hits a day, usually from pet owners who want to share stories and tips about their dogs and cats.

But while the site has grown, he added, there's still a lot of uncertainty about what can be said legally online.

He said the contentious posts were deleted as soon as a lawyer representing the Labombards contacted the site.

Kulik said he continues to look for ways to provide a forum for pet owners while balancing freedom of speech with fair business practices.

Animal welfare is a priority of many of the people who use www.pets.ca, he said, but the anonymity of the Web also opens the door to malpractice.

For example, Kulik noted, one dog breeder could go online and say something negative about another to hurt the other's business.

To prevent that, his site now accepts posts only from paid email accounts, Kulik said. That way, posts can be traced, he explained.

A court date has not been scheduled.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Sep 30, '06 9:01am PST 
Yowza! I guess we better watch our P's and Q's lest we be sued for slander? Though if what one is saying is true I guess it's ok? VERY interesting case! Thanks for posting this!
[notify]

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Thu Oct 5, '06 2:49pm PST 
My mom has been to Paws 'R' herself, and she said that it was terrible! Flies everywhere, TONS of dogs -- hundreds, literally! Almost every breed of dog you can think of, from Dachsies to Danes.

My mom also knows somebody who got a puppy from Paws 'R' Us. This dog has a few medical problems.

Commercial breeders are in the business just for economic reasons. It's terrible what humans do just to make money!
[notify]

J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 7:04pm PST 
As a Canadian who just went through the process of trying to find a small dog here, I have been to the Paws "R" Us site. I refuse to support bulk breeders - show or not - and red flags went up for me immediately. It makes me so sad that breeding dogs are being kept as commodities not as pets, and that their owners are finding a market to sell to. I hope that the purchaser here wins. We need more people who are willing to call bulk breeders on their lack of quality.
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Oct 7, '06 11:02am PST 
Sounds AWFUL!

Scary thing is if PRU wins this lawsuit.... Then people will be afraid to speak out against bad breeders. Gads! I hope she wins and they lose. This really ties into the whole Animal Terrorism Act here in the states right now... The breeder has suffered a loss of profit... I hope we don't pass the law that would allow bad breeders the protection of silencing their critics here in the States.
[notify]
Bullet- R.I.P.

foster- failure... mom- caved

Barked: Sun Oct 8, '06 4:58am PST 
well I for one WILL NEVER keep quiet about things like this. As long as you have proof....
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Sun Oct 8, '06 11:42am PST 
sigh... i have recently been thru something very similar. i had proof only that the pet shop mihkoa was from did not care for her, not that her breeder was not. so it is tough. luckily, i appologized to the breeder for bashing on her name, but at that point all i could think of was that it was there fault (breeders) that she was sick and going to be killed... but in essence it was the pet shop. frown it was ruff, and i did not get sued thank God. she was understanding (breeder) and all is better now. i think if you have proof... you should speak out against whats wrong!!
[notify]

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 7:29am PST 
My mom would really love to say something, but it wouldn't matter anyway. The laws are that as long as the dog has food and water, they're fine. A terrible law, if you ask me. All those dogs there are individuals. My mom had a special taking to a Whippet with puppies, who rested her head in my mom's hands.

Here's the site:

http://www.pawsruskennel.com

Edited by author Mon Oct 9, '06 7:41am PST

[notify]
Blaze

Barked: Tue Oct 17, '06 4:34pm PST 
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your support in this case, it's been tough on all of us but I believe we will win this case cause the truth does still matter.

If you would like to contact me please do so, please share any info you have we must all do this together we must be "their voice"

You can stay up to date on this case No Puppy Mills Canada is covering this aswell as the Montreal Gazette and other papers

www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/lorie.htm

Interesting Site , notice the petition here and read others peoples view on this case.
http://www.jowlflapper.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=d9e420a3a9 5215c9c609a8e9d186e426

Take Care
Lorie
lorie@b2b2c.ca

P.S
Blaze has epilespy and suffers from seizure disorder, I am proud to say that Blaze along with my two other dog s Frodo ( golden retirever) and Jordie ( shih tzu) are all on the

The Epil-K9 Family & Friends Calendar 2007
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/calendar.html
Frodo and Jordie are on page 2
Blaze is on Sept 2007 , have a look.
[notify]
Blaze

Barked: Tue Oct 17, '06 4:35pm PST 
Wanted to say Blaze is 6 weeks monster free , great news as he was having seizure every other week.

Good Boy Blaze!

Edited by author Tue Oct 17, '06 4:48pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4