GO!

Stop One Form of Animal Cruelty: The Use of Live Animal Drop

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Clancy

Cookie? Did you- say cookie?!?!

Barked: Sun Apr 16, '06 1:15pm PST 
In Wake County, North Carolina, and in other locations in the United States, the value of a living dog or cat is reflected by a unique form of collection procedure used as part of animal control. This method of collection is the live animal drop box, bin, or cage. Sometimes these facilities are know as "after hours facilities." Click on images 1 and 2 to read about the use of live animal drop off sites, about the reasons for permanently closing drop off sites, and to understand why state and federal legislation that makes all live animal drop sites illegal must be adopted.

Read why unstaffed drop off sites and after hour facilities should be closed and made illegal

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/haight/droppage.html

(Cannot post photo of this beautful boxer)
Rhett Butler, age one and one half years, killed after being left in the unstaffed Wake Count SPCA drop box.

In Ohio

On a cold, winter evening, an Ohio resident decided that he could no longer keep his Great Dane. He could not keep his dog even until the next morning. The owner took the Great Dane to a live animal drop cage. The cage had no protection from the elements. Several days later, the Great Dane died of exposure suffered during the time spent in the drop cage.
[notify]
Cairo DEAD

Is it naptime?

Barked: Sun Apr 16, '06 4:56pm PST 
What this tells me is, you shouldn't be wanting to ban drop kennels. After all, the humans who drop their dogs off in them are trying to offer their animals more help than, say, driving out to the country and leaving them on the side of the road. It is not their fault that the drop kennels themselves are unworthy. The owners thought on some level that this was better. If it's not any better than leaving them on the side of the road, it's not their fault, it's the fault of the animal drops.

I suggest better drop kennels.
[notify]
Alex

Friend to all

Barked: Sun Apr 16, '06 5:24pm PST 
Don't the drop boxes get checked everday? When a hunter sets a trap, he must check it everday. If a dog is harmed in a drop box, something is very wrong. This could use some media attention.
[notify]

TJ

R Ts are like - chips, you can't- have ONE

Barked: Sun Apr 16, '06 7:58pm PST 
IMHO no animal should be dropped off anywhere whether it be along side a road or in an unattended dropbox. In most cases, I believe whoever is using a dropbox could wait until the next day when someone is available to take the animal. I think people who drop their animals off in a dropbox or along side a road are, for the most part, cowards who do not want to show their faces!

If these drop boxes are not being attended to then shame on those who operate such places! I'm all for making them illegal.
[notify]
Coconut

Terrier MEANS I- love dirt!

Barked: Wed Apr 19, '06 5:47am PST 
Yes, it is the owner's fault for being so freaking stupid as to leave in a pet in a DROP box. What part of the word DROP is unclear?

Where's that sniper when we need him?
[notify]
Cookie (In- loving- memory)

I AM the boss!

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 4:46pm PST 
I worked at a shelter for 2 yrs and we didn't have a drop box (I've never even heard of it until just now), but when used properly it could really be a good thing if taken care of properly- provided that it was protected from the elements, and provided fresh water for overnight. People will dump their animals- drop -box or not. It would be good to have safe shelter for them until the next morning when staff can intake them. I worked early mornings at the shelter and I'd pull in all the time and find dogs chained to (or thrown over) the shelter fence, empty boxes that once held a cat or multiple cats or kittens left in boxes in 90 degree weather outside of the warehouse next door- one time I pulled in and saw a carrier (a VERY small carrier) sitting in front of the gate that held not one, not two, but SIX adult cats jammed together covered in fecal matter and fleas, that had probably been sitting there all night. Maybe if there was somewhere for them to wait for us they wouldn't be in such deplorable conditions-
This is kind of two sided- on one hand yes it's wrong for people to drop an animal off when no ones watching and just leave them there, but this will happen, drop boxes or not. What a horrible thing to happen though. In these cases sadly those poor animals dying was completely the fault of the shelter staff.
[notify]
Rosie- Moondog

I Love My- Shellies

Barked: Sat Apr 22, '06 5:18pm PST 
I agree with Cairo. Abandoning an animal somewhere is more dangerous. And the fact is that there are any number of scenarios where someone who finds an abandoned animal can't keep it overnight. Since we've moved to our current home we've rescued 3 abandoned dogs in our neighborhood. We are lucky to have a fenced in yard where we can keep them overnight. Then Dad takes them to the Durham APS where all three had their 5 day waiting periods. Then they all ended up on the website and were adopted. Well, one was adopted so fast that they didn't have time to put him on the website.

We happen to be familiar with the Wake County SPCA. My mom rescued a dog in Wake County, and with the help of police, got it into the hands of the SPCA. This was on a Sunday when the shelter was closed for business. But the drop off cages are routinely checked, even when the shelter is closed to the public. And once locked cannot be opened from the outside. They also have plenty of food and water in them.

The story you posted on the Wake County box involves a sicko who said the dogs had distemper. This is not the shelter's fault is it? Maybe they should have tested them, but they may not have the means, or were not willing to risk infecting all the other animals. You can't blame the shelter for not thinking that a deranged person falsely tagged the animals. Most people that drop animals are trying to do what they think is the right thing.

Regarding the practices of North Carolina shelters that take surrendered animals; in Wake, Durham, and Orange counties surrendered animals are given the same opportunities to be adopted as all other animals. I should know. I was surrendered. My picture was put up on the APS website, and I found my forever home. This practice is followed by every NC shelter we know of.

Oh, and the dog my mom turned in? She was diagnosed with heartworm but the Wake County SPCA still managed to place Andi in a loving home with a family that was willing to get her treated. She is very happy now.

Many years ago Mom rescued several dogs and cats in Orange County and placed them in drop boxes just like the ones Wake County has. She had a dog at home and couldn't take the animals back with her. All were taken in, and all were adopted.

Get your facts before you see something on a website and accept it as truth.

Sorry if I'm coming across a bit agitated. It's just that I know these people, how hard they work, and how much they care about the animals that come to them.

Edited by author Sat Apr 22, '06 7:01pm PST

[notify]
Coconut

Barked: Sun Apr 23, '06 11:21am PST 
Again, the word is DROP box.

I still hold the dropper responsible. Common sense should come into play at some point. Sliding a dog down a chute is supposed to be safe? Comeon!
[notify]
Cosmic- Isabel- Roverandom

To Infinity and- Beyond!

Barked: Sun Apr 23, '06 11:32am PST 
Coconut...they don't go down a chute. These are level crate like structures with solid floors and walls. They don't drop. In the back there is a gate leading to the shelter that can be opened by the shelter staff. The top boxes have ramps the animals can walk down once the cage is opened. There's no falling or dropping. It's drop box as in "Drop off box," not drop down into a hole box.
[notify]
Coconut

Barked: Sun Apr 23, '06 11:58am PST 
OOOOOOOOH!

The ones I've seen around here are a metal chute like you use for dumping garbage in a high rise building.

In the immortal words of Emily Litella, "Never mind."
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2