GO!

Signs of pregnancy in Great Dane

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 9:39am PST 
My Dane just turned one. I have always known Danes to be thin and lanky until about 2 and then they start to fill out. After my Dane's first heat (about 45 days ago) she started getting "thick" and filling out. She eats the same amount as usual, acts the same, but is just filling out to the point she is no longer lanky. She is not tall and I would think with her just turning one, she wouldn't be done growing tall wise. We live on 50 acres and I keep her in a yard when we are not home. I am always with her when she is running loose. Could it be possible that my neighbors dog bred her through a fence? I know that's weird but possible?? I will not be happy if that is the case. They have been warned several times to keep their dogs away and to at least neuter them if they can't. I don't want anything bad to happen to my Dane which is why I'm asking. Thank you!
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Tue Jan 28, '14 8:05am PST 
Have you asked your vet? Also instead of telling your neighbors to neuter, why isn't your Dane spayed?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Jan 28, '14 8:35am PST 
Your neighbours have as much right to keep their dogs intact as you do! If you have been with her 100% of the time and supervised her every move you'd know whether it's possible she's been caught. No way would I leave my in heat bitch to wander around 50 acres unsupervised. I'd be out there with her, watching her every move.

It's possible that she is simply filling out as she continues to grow, but it wouldn't be as noticeable as you seem to be describing.

A false pregnancy can occur for some bitches. They show exactly the same signs and symptoms of a pregnant bitch, but obviously, are not.

Either way you need to have her checked over by your vet. If she is pregnant there are options to terminate the pregnancy. At 1 years old your girl is no way ready to have a litter.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 7:55am PST 
bump
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 11:05am PST 
My dog is not spayed because she is a Great Dane and my vet as well as my Great Dane club recommend to not spay before they are 1 1/2 due to growth issues. Also, I would prefer the neighbors just keep their dogs in their own yard and if they can't then I feel they need to be spayed/neutered just as much as vaccinated. My dog is kept in our yard, period.

My dog is in a yard when we aren't home - not running free on 50 acres. When she is out of the yard, we are with her as it says. Question was can she get bred through a fence.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 11:15am PST 
Yes, a determined dog can breed through a fence.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Jan 29, '14 11:35am PST 
Yes, they can mate through a fence. You need to take her to the vet.

But for future reference, an in heat bitch should never be unattended outside alone at any point whether she's behind a fence or not.

Edited by author Wed Jan 29, '14 11:39am PST

[notify]
Babe

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 11:34pm PST 
yes they can..or climb it jump it yikes!!

i would vet her for sure especially cause she is so young and you will need to know how to feed her if she is pregnant ect..if not you dont want to feed her like she is...since gestation is 62 ish days i would do this asap..i feel bad for you as this once happened to us..now one think i did notice before i noticed weight gain in our large breed is water consumption..

She was drinking at least double what she was unpregnant..i was so concerned i was about to have her tested for diabeties or something? maybe look for other signs?

And yes we need to keep an eye on our in season females however the posters dog was in HER yard..i mean in a fenced in yard..i totally feel the responsibility lies on the owner of the male who is not in his yard...if you are keeping your boys intact and you cant keep them home then choppy choppy
[notify]