GO!

Ways to heal a dog sunburn

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 10:14pm PST 
Hazel's ear tips have been burning really bad the last couple months...pretty since since summer started, and only seem to be getting worse.

Last month I took her to the vet because the tips started to bleed, and she told me that it was just sun burn. She told me to buy her sunscreen and use bag balm to soothe them.

Well at first this worked great! But in the last couple weeks her ears have started to get worse. Their are more open wounds, bleeding, cracking, and blistering. I have no idea why this is happening! I apply sunscreen multiple times a day, and she barely goes out in the sun. Maybe twice a day for 10 mins each during sun exposure, and then I walk her in the evening, and apply bag balm every night and times when she is in the house.

I cant really afford to take her to the vet right now, but will be in the next couple weeks. Is their anything I can do to try and heal the sores, because I can tell she is in pain.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 10:18pm PST 
I use calendula lotion and have noticed it helps with any sunburn I may get.

Would she allow you to put something on her head when she goes out to protect her ears from the sun - something like a snood?
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 6:29am PST 
Great, thanks for the suggestions! big grin
[notify]

(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:38am PST 
maybe coconut oil? they do make dog sunscreen...I wonder if there is something like a polysporin or hydrocortison or even aloe?
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 2:24pm PST 
@Chance I fashioned my own snood from a tube sock I had. She hates it, but looks adorable, and it should be good for when she goes in the yard. Also what stores sell that calendula cream? I can only find it online.

@Indie I actually picked up some baby sunscreen for her, and I had tried the aloe in the beginning and it did not work that well :/
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 3:59pm PST 
I found them at Whole Foods and once I picked the one that worked best for me I started getting them from Amazon.

Any natural-type store should have some kind of calendula product.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 7:23pm PST 
Thanks smile
[notify]