GO!

Neurological Disorder

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Coco

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 8:46pm PST 
I am sorry Capone is not doing well. Did your vet check for Lyme? I don't know if you live in an area where ticks are a concern, but we do, and Coco did have it a few years back. Her symptoms were similar to a neurological disorder. We are hoping it's possible that Capone has something treatable. Take care.
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 7:28pm PST 
Update: Capone is actually improving! happy dance

Physically, his left legs are still weak, but he's learned how to balance better on them. And the feeling appears to be returning. The vets both tested his feeling by rolling his paws forward so he was standing on his toes. Capone immediately fixed his right paws but didn't move his left paws. I was able to do the same thing at home for a couple of days, but now he corrects all four paws immediately. Even if I lightly touch his left paws while he's asleep, he moves them a little, which he was not doing a week ago, so I'm sure he felt it.

He still can't do stairs on his own or be trusted on the furniture anymore, which he's hating. But we've narrowed down a few places that he likes to sleep now and he seems to prefer the surface of our bath mat so I'm going to get a few more to lay in his new favorite spots.

He's also eating and drinking normally again. The elevated bowls helped him until he got some stability back, but as soon as he didn't need them, he went on strike until I brought the old bowls back. He so hates change.

Mentally is where I've seen the improvements that have lifted my spirits the most, though. A week ago, he was constantly circling to the right, bumping his head against walls and furniture and just standing there with his head pressed against the object, often looking confused and lost. He still has a tendency to circle a bit but it's not nearly as pronounced and he can turn left or walk straight for quite a ways as well. He hasn't run into anything head on in several days now, but will still occasionally bump a corner with his shoulder. However, he always corrects himself and keeps moving now. And the looks of confusion are far fewer.

He's not back to his old self yet, and I accept that he may never be, but it's such a relief that he's come this far this quickly.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 4:29am PST 
YAY for Capone!!!! Hope he continues to improve.
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:49am PST 
You just gotta know how great it is hear that! Capone is a special boy...no doubt about it cloud 9

One day at a time capone! I'm glad you are getting better! Arrroooooooo!

hugcloud 9hugcloud 9hugcloud 9hugcloud 9hugcloud 9hugcloud 9

snoopysnoopysnoopy|$ |snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 5:38pm PST 
I noticed you posted about the website in a couple of other threads. Sorry i'm not comfortable especially since you are logged in as a guest. I'm not copying and pasting any URL i'm not familiar or comfortable with.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 6:02pm PST 
Scooter, guest's posts are an advertisement for mobility "aids" for handicapped dogs. (I did not go with the like for the same reasons as you, but if you find all their posts it is very obvious what they are selling.) They are posted EVERYWHERE. Not sure if they are approved by HQ since they appear to be nothing more than an advertisement for the website.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 3:03am PST 
cheerdancingsnoopyhamster dance glad Capone is doing better!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 4:53am PST 
Hey Toto...ahhhh i never thought to look at their previous posts. I only knew that three of them were ads for that website. Thanks for explaining way to go

Capone, how you feeling buddy? big grin
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 11:49am PST 
We're still making slow but steady progress. I'm allowing him to take the front steps on his own now and he's been really succesful with that...it's just one step between the front porch and the sidewalk. Going down I have to point it out to him to make sure he doesn't just walk off the edge, but going back up he's really confident and hops up the step with enthusiasm.

I can definitely tell that he's feeling better. The only bad part about that is that he thinks he can do all the things he used to do. He doesn't realize he has these new physical limitations and if he runs too fast or jumps, he could fall and hurt himself. I felt so bad the other day because he wanted to play so I encouraged him. He was running around like his happy, normal self when all of a sudden his back left leg gave out on him and he hit the ground hard. But he got right up and wanted to go again. So I'm trying to find a happy medium between letting him challenge himself and not letting him exert himself too much.

All in all, I'm very happy with his progress and so relieved that he's getting better.
blue dog
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 12:52pm PST 
Awwwww Capone...our little hero. I'm so glad he's having progress....slow is better than none. I also love how resilent our dogs are. When Scooter couldn't walk, she scooted around on her little butt....just happy to get her treats, head out the door. It was a precious sight. Capone reminds me of the same thing. He just wants to carry on and pretend like nothings wrong.

thanks for the update. I'm sure rooting for him. He's got a special little place in my heart cloud 9hug
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2