GO!

megaesophagus dane puppy?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Max

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 6:49pm PST 
I really need some help from anyone that is knowledgable about danes. I have never had a dane before and now I have a 2 month old puppy. I've described his behavior to my vet and the only thing they have said so far is his tummy is probably sensitive from the stress of coming home and they gave me Pepcid ac to give him twice a day. What he is doing is he'll be just chilling, usually it happens when he's laying down but it can be any position, he'll suddenly just throw up without warning.. I've never seen a dog do this before and I've had 2. It has happened anywhere from 3-7 times a day every day since I brought him home a week ago. He also has frequent hiccups. I need to know if I'm just scaring myself or I should be concerned...
I think when I was at the vet I incorrectly described this behavior as "vomiting" when I should have said "regurgitation" and my vet did not seemed concerned. I've already called the office over 10 times asking different questions and I don't want to bother them again and seem like I'm crying wolf... But at the same time I'm frustrated that I googled this and came up with an answer that fit his symptoms in 10 minutes and it wasn't mentioned even as a possibility at all the two times he's been at the vet. Additionally my mom even suggested xrays to make sure he's normal internally and my vet just poo pooed us and basically said we were worrying too much.. So please, let me know what you think?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:21pm PST 
I think you need to look for another vet. You should also call the breeder you got the puppy from and let them know that something is wrong. Good Luck and please get him to another vet who will not ignore your concerns.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:55pm PST 
Koby's litter has several pups with Megaesophagus. When they eat, they start choking and eventually throw up and/or aspirate. I think there are two types. (I could be wrong). One, they can grow out of, and one, which is life long commitment with several Doctor's bills trying to keep them healthy by treating pneumonia from the aspirations. Koby had it when he was small but grew out of it. I made his food mushy and spread it out thinly in a large flat bowl. It helped slow his eating and kept it from getting hung up in the esophagus and making him choke. I'm in touch with one of the litter-mate's owner now. She said it's a constant struggle to keep her dog healthy, but possible. It takes a lot of hiper-vigilance when her dog eats. She makes sure she goes right to the vet if she even suspects her dog has aspirated. I would definitely find a new vet. I would find one with experience with this condition if you suspect that's what your dog has. Also, you might try elevating the bowl when your pup eats. Good Luck!
[notify]

Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:34pm PST 
I’m a proud Great Dane mom! I can tell you that they are the best dogs in the entire world. I wouldn’t give my dog Pepcid AC. Puppies can vomit for many reasons. Stress can cause stomach upset and vomiting. But, after a week being home I wouldn’t think stress would be much of a factor. Hiccups are pretty normal in pups, so I wouldn’t be too worried about that. I would always be concerned with vomiting, no matter what. I recommend trying him on a supplement of L-Glutamine and see how he does. Vets and techs are used to worried parents calling, so don’t worry about calling too much. If you don’t notice a reduction or cease in vomiting after a week on the L-Glutamine, I would have him tested for megaesophagus. If your vet won’t do the test, look for a vet that will. It’s not highly invasive, so I don’t see why a vet wouldn’t want to do it to ease your worries, especially with your pup’s symptoms.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:16pm PST 
Thanks for your responses guys, I'm so worried I can't sleep. I really want to call the vet asap in the morning but I'm going to have to wait until break during work. I'm so frustrated and upset right now. I don't know if I can't deal with another special needs pet after my last dog. I'll give my vet another chance to take a look and if they still persist in saying nothing is wrong I'll be getting a second opinion.
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:21pm PST 
I completely understand your worry. If you have any emergencies tonight, ring your local emergency clinic. You frustration is understandable. I understand that you may not want a special needs dog, but if your pup ends up having special needs, you will learn to care for him and love him for who he is. I do recommend taking this up with a holistic vet.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 7:40pm PST 
Do you have any updates from the vet?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 9:32pm PST 
First of all do you have any update?

A couple of things, Danes should always be fed from raised dishes, and this isn't an uncommon condition in the breed. You need to find a vet that knows Danes.
He's a cute up, I really hope you got him from a good breeder. The breeder should be advising on this and ought to be made aware of the issue.
[notify]
Kiera, HIAdsc

Ducks Beware

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:41pm PST 
Updates? I would love to know how poor little Max is doing!
[notify]