GO!

Cost of euthanasia

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:05am PST 
Can someone give me a price range to have a small dog euthanized? I don't even have an idea and I just want to be prepared.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:22am PST 
Depends on several factors:
- Your area.
- The individual Veterinary practice you go to.
- Your dogs size.
- Whether or not you want a paw print or ashes.

My Rottweiler, Maya, I called around to several places because at the time, I really couldn't afford hundreds of dollars to put her to sleep. Some places quoted me as high as $500 JUST to euthanize her(not including a paw print or ashes). I ended up finding a Vet that was willing to do it for $230. My own Vet would have been cheaper, but she would have been suffering for over a week if I had waited to see him.

Your best bet, honestly, is to call around and find out from local Vets. If you want ashes, or a paw print, be sure to incorporate that and ask for that cost to be added too so you have a rough estimate to go off of and be prepared for.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:27am PST 
Depending on where you have it done shelter or vets office or at home. How you have it done home or vets office. When you have it done scheduled during normal hours or as an emergency after hours or after hours home visit. Area you live in, and final arrangements like cremation or burial and where you choose to do the latter the price can vary widely. What a vet in the area you live in typically charges can also be a factor. Giving you a ballpark without knowing all of that and knowing what your vet may charge depending on the place and way you choose to do things would be impossible. The only advice I can give you is to call around and speak to your vet. That is something we did in advance of having to euthanize our last dog due to health issues. wishes
[notify]

Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:05pm PST 
It depends on where you live. Most shelters will do it for very cheap.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:30am PST 
It also depends on the shelter policy as well. For example our shelter will no longer euthanize pets brought in just to be euthanized, they tell you to call your own vet.frown In all honesty it is probably best if you sit down, think out some of the details that you want, then call around in your area to see what it would cost.

For example not all of the vets in our area will do house calls, many while they will give the body to an afterlife care service for cremation or burial will not make the arrangements for it, that is something many expect you to arrange yourself, the prices and services those places offer varies as well.
We know how difficult it is to make that decision but often just like with funeral arrangements for people it is better to make decisions in advance then just call the places necessary when the time comes.hugwishes
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:24pm PST 
I don't think the shelter here does it for people's pets. I wouldn't want to take her to a shelter anyway. In home would be nice but I'm sure that is twice as costly as going to a vet office. I don't want ashes or anything. Can't handle that.

To those of you who have gone through this. Did you just call up the vet and make an appointment like you would any other procedure? Or do you have a consultation first? My situation is not urgent but I know the time is coming and I don't want to be one of those people who felt like they waited too long.
[notify]
Star

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:41pm PST 
I paid $597 to have Star euthanized, but that included private cremation and an urn, plus I live in a VERY expensive area.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 6:17am PST 
We called the vet's office, made an appointment, and told them specifically why we were coming in. With our vet they like to schedule things like that as the last appointment of the day or the first appointment a bit before regular office hours. Your vet may be different. While you are in no hurry calling to ask them about cost and how they prefer scheduling is probably not unusual. As much as you might feel alone in this you aren't many people have to make that choice everyday and it is never an easy one to make.hughugwishes
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 6:18am PST 
I would definitely discuss it with your vet. Most people who make the decision for their pet will make an appt. Some vets will come to your home or you can make an appt in their office to have it done. Hope this helps. I believe we paid around $250 or $300 for the euthanasia and cremation. We paid for the urn separately. They ususally can recommend services for cremation and burial. Some do not wish to have their pet returned so in that case you are just paying for the euthnasia and cremation. Hope that helps way to go
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:04pm PST 
When I euthanized my last Great Dane it only cost me $50, but the cremation was $200. That was 4 years ago and I still have his ashes in a cedar box.
[notify]