GO!

Desperate

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Aliki

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:00am PST 
Well! I've reached to a point I don't know what to do. I am deeply worried. My 12-year-old Pinscher miniature has always had allergies (itching, licking her legs). Since she was 4 her stomach is making gurgling noises. These are sometimes minor but happening once or twice a month and sometimes she keeps stretching and she is obvious in pain (although the second is happening rarely). The are periods of time that for months there is no problem. She is on a special diet (intestinal royal canine). We are having frequent visits to the vet who is saying to me that there is nothing wrong with her and if it was there should be more symptoms. (I really trust him, he is my vet for 17 years). Lately I am staying more at home and she has developed a strange behavior. She is whining, following me everywhere. For a period of time (about three weeks) she was lethargic not wanting to play, now she is hyper not wanting to sleep as usual. I must confess she doesn't get enough exercise since whenever she gets out she has her allergies. I think the situation is complicated and I don't know what to do. I cannot be firm at her and I start getting crazy when she is whining, thinking that something is wrong with her. The vet says that she is taking advantage that I am at home the other solution he gives is to make a series of tests in case that there is something we cannot see, I know however by the way he is saying it that he thinks it will be a waste of time and money. Otherwise the dog has a good apettite begging for more food. Temperature is fine. She is not panting and she doesn't drink much water. Do you have any ideas?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 5:40am PST 
In all honesty I would go with having more testing done. I seriously doubt she is faking symptoms. She could actually be allergic to the food or have some other medical condition that causes flare-ups that are scary and uncomfortable for her but has no way to tell you. For the paw licking, it might be lessened if you wipe her paws off after she has been outside or on whatever surface is causing her discomfort. I had a dog with severe allergies as well and we used baby wipes or a clean damp wash cloth to wipe her down after each trip outside to keep whatever she was reacting to in less contact with her skin and to help try to minimize her discomfort. As much as she was allergic to things she did still need her playtime and exercise. We also kept allergy medicine on hand to help when she was really uncomfortable. I wish you and your dog the best of luck. Please do have the vet do the tests it may help her more than you think.
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:12pm PST 
I agree; more testing needs to be done.
[notify]

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 4:14pm PST 
more tests. It could be food. Stretching excessively is usually from upset stomach.
[notify]
BoyGeorge

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 1:10am PST 
Yes, general test like in urine and blood could give some answer. It must be pain if a dog whines out of itchy/painful skin. In any case, you might need to get second opinion if your current vet can give you satisfying answer.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 5:57am PST 
I agree with BoyGeorge. It's kinda like us humans, when we can't get a satisfying answer from one doctor, we get a second opinion. Why should it be any different for a dog?

So, when you go to your vet next, ask for extra testing, if your vet refuses, go to another one. Test for everything!!! There's bound to be something that pops up.
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:57pm PST 
There are so many symptoms a dog with allergies can exhibit; it can be difficult to make that diagnosis on your own. I recommend seeking advice from a HOLISTIC veterinarian. Something has to be triggering the allergies. This requires adjustments in your dog’s life. They must also be treated. A holistic vet will help you with this. I recommend using a holistic vet as your primary vet.

Cool baths can help with the itching your dog is experiencing. Does Aliki have any hot spots? Salmon oil (Alaskan is best) is a good supplementation for allergies. I also recommend looking into a raw diet. A holistic vet will be able to help you with this, too.

If she has licked herself raw, you will probably need to muzzle her to deal with the lick sores she has created. I recommend shaving the area around the lick sores. Then, clean them with soap (I use Miracle 2 Soap). The reason she is licking her legs is because they itch. You should clean the legs daily with good quality soap.

Are the gurgling stomach noises associated with illness? A raw diet is best for dogs. You can start with organic raw chicken breast. This is very easy on the stomach, too. After about a week you can start adding organic chicken bones or bone-in breast.

You can do some basic massage to help relieve any stomach pain she is experiencing. Stretch her back legs back gently and then lightly rub her stomach. You can press your hand in a little bit, but you don’t want to make her more uncomfortable. Stretching her back legs back gives you more area to work with as far as massage and also helps stretch her gastrointestinal system, sometimes relieving gas and discomfort. Do this with her lying on her side, then switch sides.

I believe she is whining because she isn’t feeling well. I’m wondering if she could be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. As far as controlling her allergies, I would get her on salmon oil ASAP. A few weeks on this and you should notice a decrease in allergies. If you are giving her attention when she whines, it could be a rewarded behavior and she is doing it just to get attention. But, I would do the tests the vet recommends to rule out more serious medical problems. I’m glad to hear that she had a good appetite. Lack of appetite can indicate something more serious. Although, I’m worried that she is not drinking enough water during the summer months. Try adding a teaspoon of organic chicken broth to a bowl of water.
[notify]
Aliki

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:54am PST 
Thank you all so much for your answers! Aliki is doing better! She has long walks now and afterwards a cool bath so the licking and scratching is reduced. She is calmer (probably due to the walks) She is eating her dry food with a large spoon of boiled rice and so far the gargling noises have gone to minor. I've stopped giving her attention while whining so she doesn't do it any more. I have noticed though that she is trying to monopolise my attention. Well for the time being (and I don't want to jinx it) she is back to her old allergic self!
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:33am PST 
Your girl definitely needs more testing. There is no way around it. The vet needs to run more tests. I think a urinalysis should be done. Allergies are very non-specific when it comes to symptoms. I’m glad Aliki is doing better, though.
[notify]
Aliki

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:57am PST 
Well I've talked to my vet about doing more tests. He said that if I insist he will do them. Still though Aliki has been having problems like that for 8 years now slightely worsening according to season. She is even alergic to shots becoming puffy and itchy whenever she is having them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2