GO!

probably going to board Treader while I'm on vacation

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:42pm PST 
I know his shots need to be up to date. They are, except for kennel cough. We'll get that done.

Does anyone know what the prices generally run for? We asked the vet, because they board, and for Treader it'd be $17 a night. (That seems to be average, from what I could research online.) We switched to this vet recently, and I rather like them. Although I don't know how their boarding services are.
There appear to be lots of boarding options where I live, so it's not like I can't look into other businesses.

Is there anything else I'd need to know? I guess any place I'm going to board I should see where the dogs stay first?

Edited by author Fri Jul 5, '13 7:44pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 7:54pm PST 
U need to give the kennel cough vaccine at least a week to actually work. My vet charges 25 but they are a 24 hour facility and someone is always with the dogs. I would find a place where someone will be there nights and weekends because sandy does not like being alone. If your dog is less needy just ask if someone will be walking him at least 3 times a day on the weekends.
[notify]
Josie

Happy to work

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 8:56am PST 
You definitely want to see the kennels and play area if there is one. I personally only board my dogs where someone is on site 24 hrs a day/ 7 days a week. I also hesitate if there is no securely fenced outdoor area and if they are going to be leash walked only...there have been LOTS of incidents near me where a dog has been boarded at a vets office and during a leash walk (to go potty) the dog has gotten loose. I dont like my dogs to be leash walked in a open area by strangers because they do not know what spooks my dogs and what to watch out for, they also usually use their own leashes/collars which my dogs know how to get out of. As for the price that does seem pretty standard.
[notify]

Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 9:01am PST 
Bordatella vaccines take 7 to 10 days to become fully function within the immune system. I would check out the boarding area fully before you decide to board Treader there, too. way to go
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 11:26am PST 
Well, my mom talked to the vet about their boarding this morning. There's someone there all the time, they let him out every hour, and they'll walk him, play with him...whatever he wants to do.
Sounds good...except they said we could do the shots when we drop him off. confused
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 12:58pm PST 
Treader, that works. It takes 5 to 7 days for immunity to start with the nasal vaccine and it takes 10 to 14 days to come down with bordatella, so you will most likely have immunity BEFORE he would likely get sick, assuming he even gets exposed.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 1:15pm PST 
Oh, okay. smile
Well, we're all set then.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 1:22pm PST 
Now all I'm concerned about is Treader thinking we abandoned him. He'll be there for more than two weeks.
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:29pm PST 
Everything sounds good. Sounds like a good kennel. I like that there is somebody there all the time. I’m sure Treader will be stressed, though.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 12:52am PST 
At the place Treader is staying, he's not caged 24/7. They let him out hourly. There's a yard he can walk in, and a room he can play in. That's why I liked them.
I do hope he's not stressed out from being left behind, though.

I'm not a fan overvaccination, but I'd rather get the vaccinations than Treader get sick while boarding with all the other animals there. IDK, seems like the lesser evil to me. But I digress. I don't know enough about the issue to argue for any particular side, and I don't feel like it anyway. I tend to be somewhere in the middle of the road on the subject, really.
(They also required that he get the influenza vaccine before boarding there--so while I've been avoiding that thing and will continue to avoid it in the future, it can't really be helped in this case. I like the place otherwise.)

I can't take him with me--the place I'm going has heavy traffic, and the little escape artist would be killed in an instant. Plus I'm staying at my aunt's house. Not only do I have to respect her rules, but she has a dog that does not get along with other dogs.

Anyway--it's a done deal now. I'm leaving on my trip on Monday, and I dropped Treader off this morning.
The cat will be dropped off at a friend's house tomorrow. This is what I originally wanted to do with Treader--but no one was available. In any case, I'm actually a bit more comfortable with the option of having him at the boarding place--there's less chance of him escaping and being picked up by animal control.

Edited by author Sun Jul 14, '13 1:09am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2