GO!

Why is my 7 month old humping her toy?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:25pm PST 
Since coming into her first heat she has been humping one of her toys. I bought this toy for her a few months ago, and she has only just started this behavior, and only with that specific toy.

First of all why is she humping? Should I allow her to hump or take it away from her? Will she stop doing this after she is spayed?

confused
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 6:32am PST 
When she does this, yell "NO!" You can drive the point home even stronger by spraying her with a spray bottle at the same time you yell "NO!" What she is doing is masturbating. During her heat cycle, I wouldn't allow her around any children. You can try distracting her with another toy during her "sessions" too. Or, leave the room suddenly and she may follow you. It's more common for males to hump, but some females will do it to. I would have her spayed immediately!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 7:22am PST 
Humping is something ALL dogs usually try...whether they be spayed, neutered, intact, young or old.
PLEASE do not spray your dog OR yell at her for doing this. Simply remove the toy and use something to distract her, such as an incompatible behavior like sit, or shake hands.
Dogs which are bored tend to exhibit humping more often than dogs who get plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.
[notify]

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:17pm PST 
Yea its pretty easy to get her to stop, she is not to persistent. I am just more concerned if she will continue this behavior after she is spayed. She is getting spayed on Tuesday
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 1:46pm PST 
Some dogs do it for the most random of reasons. Natcho does it when we're not home and she's bored, she'll hump the pillows. laugh out loud I only know this because all the pillows will be on the floor.
Because she's 7 months old, it could be sexual because she had her first heat and such, but it could be for other reasons too such as, excitement, being bored, or maybe a change in their surroundings.
I don't see it as being a negative behaviour so I just allow it. No harm in humping. laugh out loud
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 4:40am PST 
I have to agree with Natcho and Toto. If she is easily distracted from it and isn't doing it to people, she really isn't hurting anything. Do distract her when you see it, certainly correct her by distracting her if she is doing it to people but otherwise let her alone. It is a natural behavior and not something to stress about if it isn't excessive or constant. Good Luck with her spay tomorrow.hug
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 9:31am PST 
Yes, most dogs (not all) hump at one time or another. Some will do it for dominance reasons. You can try distracting her, but if that doesn’t work, take out the spray bottle. wink
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 8:54pm PST 
Yelling and spraying water in your dogs face is not training, it is punishment. Punishing a dog for doing a normal dog behavior is cruel and totally unnecessary! A good trainor teaches a dog WHAT to do by asking for an incompatable behavior, such as sit or lie down in this case.
Please, if removing the toy isn't enough to distract your dog from humping, DO NOT yell or punish her, teach her what you want her to do instead, then praise her when she complies.
Edited for spelling

Edited by author Sun Jul 7, '13 8:55pm PST

[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:48pm PST 
Punishment is necessary for raising a dog or a child (spraying a dog with water is no more cruel than slapping a child's hand away from a hot stove). wink
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 10:13pm PST 
My puppy (5 months) will randomly hump his pillow. It is a specific pillow and he'll do it for a minute or so and then he'll leave it. I had similar concerns like you when it first started like is it sexual, should I make him stop etc. So far I've just ignored it and he gets bored and moves on. I think if it got worse (its been getting progressively better), became more persistent or he started doing it to other things I would correct him but for now I just ignore him shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2