GO!

Itching, itching, itching

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 10:33pm PST 
I know that the odd weather has seemed to make the fleas worse here this year. We had to start our pups on flea preventative much sooner than usual this year. I personally prefer to wait until around the end of April or beginning of May but when hubby got a bite in March, he was at the vet that evening picking up Advantix II for the pups and our vet is 30 miles one way!
I know you can't use it because of having cats and I never advise anyone on what to use anyway, I feel that is a personal choice between you and your vet in the best interest of YOUR dog. Mine have just always done well on the Advantage line of products and we use the one with the most protection.
Glad to hear everyone is feeling better.hug We know all about severe flea dermatitis here and it's no fun for anyone!way to go
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:37pm PST 
I love Benedryl. But, the fleas are very bad this year.
[notify]
Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 3:59pm PST 
Yeah, I found a tick on her during the last week of March. It's been a rough year with parasites, for sure.

The lady at the local feed store recommended brewer's yeast. Apparently my allergic dog is also allergic to that. *sigh* Do you ever feel like putting your dog in some sort of bubble?

I'm going down to take care of a sick family member this week, but I think the week after I'm going to see if I can find a vet that's good with allergies, which will mean at least a 30 minute drive, if not more. Wish me luck with finding one. confused
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:38am PST 
Mattie, the dog we had before Mika & Kai was the type that needed a bubble.
We were doing everything we could and had a very good vet who did everything he could but she would still get allergy flare-ups so bad at times that if we didn't get her in to see him right away, she would in less than a week look like she had a severe case of Demodex. Good Luck in finding a vet that can help and you have my sympathies, I know how hard it is to cope with a severely allergic dog that seems to be allergic to every thing on the planet.hughughughughughugwishes
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 10:34am PST 
I have one dog not bothered by fleas and onea with severe allergy to them. Lily (not) is on Frontline Plus and Moira (my allergy baby) is on Vectra D. It seems to work better for her. She also is allergic to some weed that blooms in July. The itching started yesterday and she already has a bald spot. I gave her Chlorotrimton this morning and so far so good today. My vet feels Chlorotrimton works better than Benedryl. He had just come a conference on allergies when Moira first started having problems.

It sounds like your problem is fleas. If you have seen one, there are hundreds in hiding and reproducing. You need to treat every corner of the house, every piece of furniture, wash all bedding, etc. Several years ago, I had good luck with borax and salt mixed followed by Cedarcide spray with a flea collar in the vacuum bag - that's the only use for flea collars, IMO. Too toxic to touch the dog.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:02pm PST 
We have also used chlorpheniramine, the active ingredient in Clortrimeton it is also in Coracedin be careful when using some of those products because they contain acetomenophen the active ingredient in Tylenol which is toxic to dogs. Sorry for any spelling errors, brain is not at it's best today.laugh out loud

Which works better depends on your dog, with Mattie it was Benedryl. For Mika who has occasional runny eyes due to allergies it is the chlorpheniramine.
[notify]
Kiera, HIAdsc

Ducks Beware

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:19pm PST 
I need that doggie hamster tunnel you see on the Trifexis commercials! LOL They don’t bother Kiera as much as they do me, though. But, seasonal allergies have me giving her Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl).
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2