GO!

Carsickness??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 6:31am PST 
We don't have a car, we usually walk or take the bus. Once in a while my mother lets me borrow her car if she is working from home and I have a mass of errands to do.

So yesterday, I had the car. I took my son to school for his very last day and went in to get all his stuff from his desk. I left the car running with the air conditioner on. I was gone for maybe 10 minutes. After that, I went to my mothers house to drop him off. Between my sons school and my mothers house, which is maybe a 15 minute drive, he vomited up all his morning food.

Fast forward to last night. My mother was driving us home, which is about half an hour away, and 3/4s of the way there Roman starts making the sound that dogs make when they are going to vomit. So my mom pulls over and I take him out of the car, instantly better.

This has never happened on the bus or train and he just did it yesterday, and not when we've had the car before (which is quite a couple of times when my mother was fostering Roman).

I am taking Roman to the vets today but I was wondering what you dogsters think.

Oh, also I am transitioning him onto a better kibble right now.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 6:44am PST 
Could be an upset and nothing to do with carsickness. If he does it regularly...everytime he is in the car - try feeding him a couple of ginger snaps depending on his size. Samoa used to be atrociously car sick and once I had to take him on an 8 hour drive. He got a lot of cookies because he is large, but it worked! No sick at all...
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 9:07pm PST 
Thanks Samoa! I'll definitely try that. We go camping a lot in the summer time so Roman will be in the car often. I'm just glad my mother's seats are leather. lol laugh out loud
[notify]

Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 6:09am PST 
Samoa is a tad picky about what he eats, so I had to spread a little irresistible peanut butter on the ginger snaps. they still worked.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 7:51am PST 
I know what you mean... I'm having a hard time transitioning Roman to a better food than he was previously on. He eats around the new food. I haven't tried him with peanut butter yet, but he sure loves hot dogs!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jun 29, '13 6:22pm PST 
We use Ginger snaps for carsickness as well. We also don't feed at least an hour before going on longer trips. Kai loves his ginger snaps plain but Mika get a little margarine on hers because she won't touch peanut butter.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 12:05pm PST 
How far in advance do you give the ginger snaps?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 6:16pm PST 
We usually give them about 15-30 minutes before we get in the car. Good Luck!!way to go
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:23pm PST 
I'll have to do that tomorrow! It's Canada Day and we're headed out to the mountains to see the Canmore Canada Day Parade.
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:03am PST 
Try to make your dog as comfortable as possible in the car. Octavia has a problem with carsickness and I've purchased a large bed to put in the back (I drive a station wagon). I also give her a couple of teaspoons of vanilla icecream before we go. Keep an eye on your dog's behavior and see when she tends to get sick and what is happening during that moment.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2