GO!

Emi keeps freaking out. Help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 2:25pm PST 
We did read the Thundershirt instructions and watched videos and paired it with food during non-stressful times, but I'm willing to entertain the thought that we still may not have used the it exactly correctly. The big issue for Hazel is that it actually seemed to make her *shut down* with anxiety; she just froze and then walked stiffly when we put it on her. I still have it sitting around somewhere; should probably go to a charity.
Anyway, Pepper is spot-on about the need for behavioral work alongside medication. Medication, if you need to use it, is not a replacement for the hard work of training and exercise. You also have to manage expectations - Hazel is still not a perfectly well-adjusted dog, but she is much better now.
[notify]
Emi

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:40am PST 
We figured out Emi's problem. Its just too hot for our Husky-Beagle.

We are pretty sure she is overheating. We used to live by the beach and it rarely got to hot there. Now, we live a little bit inland. Being used to not using the AC, it gets quite warm. So, I walk Emi around noon. She gets a heated up from the walk and coming home to a warm place seems to be too much for her. This seems to be why she is affected around 2pm on.

Anyway, we havent had issues because we have been running the AC. However, yesterday wasnt too hot (for me) so I left the AC off and Emi started freaking out again. Her hot breath was making it uncomfortable so I blasted the AC and guess what? She started relaxing... I pretty sure its just too hot for her.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 6:27am PST 
Great detective work!

It also could be the sound of the air conditioner is calming her down. White noise? Could experiment by trying a fan some time. It would make a similar sound but not cool the air although Max seeks out the fan when it is hot out, seems to help him.
[notify]

Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 1:10am PST 
You need to talk to the vet about this. She may be hearing something that you are not. Maybe try playing some classical music for her. Hunter is very sensitive to noises. I’ve found the Thundershirt works very well for him. I put it on him before the thunderstorm starts. Jeff also has separation anxiety. You may want to get a second opinion from a different vet, though.
[notify]
Emi

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 3:02pm PST 
More detective work... I think I may have been wrong about the heat, though that may contribute to it...

I think she has a bad reaction to the "horn" from the TV sports show called "Around the Horn". I was watching that for first time in a while. It wasnt really warm in our place so I can safely say it wasnt the heat. I think its the horn or the banter of the sportscasters... funny thing is, she never reacted like this before when we lived by the beach. but then again, she spent her time on the balcony during this time of the day at our beach place.
[notify]
Emi

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 2:51pm PST 
This is it. I turned on the show again today and almost immediately, she reacted. I dont think she likes the banter or maybe the voice of the guys/gals (probably woody) on "Around the Horn".
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2