GO!

PLEASE HELP ME, I WANT TO BE A HAPPY AND LOVING PUPPY AGAIN!!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:13pm PST 
Hi, My Name is Jake and I am very sick and my owners & I think I am dying.

I am a 6 year old English Springer Spaniel, born on 2-14-07, in a small town just north of Green Bay Wisconsin. Currently I reside on 15 acres of land with a creek running thru it, (love to play in the water) plenty of birds and critters to watch or chase, plus there is a resident cat, Marilyn, we are buddies.

My loving owners Rick & Sue have spoiled me including making me their traveling companion to places like So Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and even Arkansas. I love traveling in the car even if it is just short jaunts.

Let’s get back to my medical issues. I started feeling sickly in March of this year, my stools were dark and I wasn’t eating. First glance at the x-rays, showed a mass in and around the spleen, possible tumor on the spleen. The vet also performed completed blood work, stool sample, etc. the usual procedure. Surgery revealed that the tumor, as large as an Idaho potato, was in my lymphoid and it had a 99.99% chance of cancer. The vet couldn’t remove it, because it was around some internal organs. I was put on steroids and antibiotics. Tests revealed that it was NOT cancerous. Next I was tested for northern fungal infection and prescribe meds just in case it was. Nope that wasn’t it either. By now I am getting real tired of being poked, cut and feeling miserable. It was brought to the vet’s attention that maybe I have the southern fungal infection, since I traveled with the family to Arkansas another test and another week of painfully waiting for the results. Guess what I DO NOT have it. My vet has been talking about my situation and they are stumped too.

Now we have run out of options. I have good days and bad days. The bad days are getting more frequent and intense. I still am taking steroids and antibiotics. My appetite is not real good, and at times a throw up my food. I am so scared and confused that I began pooping on the rugs and have a very fidgety night for hours at a time, wanting to constantly go outside in and out, in and out, etc.

Can anyone help me?? Suggestions?? Similar issues??
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 4:01pm PST 
I'm so sorry that you are all going through this. I really don't have any answers for you but did want to suggest that some of the symptoms you have mentioned sound like they could be side effects of the medications. I do not know the specific drugs you are using but would suggest you look them up to see what the side effects of each are and if they can get worse with prolonged use. then perhaps you could discuss the possibility of taking a short break from the meds or rotating them to something similar that might have fewer side effects. hughughughughug and Good Luck to you.
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:48pm PST 
Im.so.sorry..sounds very frusterating and upsetting
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:00pm PST 
Do you think the mass is growing and interfering with the normal function of the surrounding organs? Maybe another xray is in order. Sorry your pup is feeling so poorly. hughughughughug
[notify]
Babe

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:31pm PST 
Im.so.sorry..sounds very frusterating and upsetting
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 9:09pm PST 
Kali, we think the tumor is growing and causing pressure on his stomach. I agree with another x-ray since the steroids do not seem to be helping. The hope was they would shrink the tumor.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:38am PST 
How long has he been on the steroids? I could be wrong, but sometimes it takes time for them to work. They also might be making him sick. Hope he's better soon. hughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 5:22am PST 
I was wondering if they could shrink the tumor too. I hate that you are 6 years old going through all of that. frown I'm glad it's not cancerous but I just wonder, is it possible to cut part of the tumor out? I'm certainly not an expert. Have you consulted with an internist, someone who specializes in this? Just throwing stuff out there thinking Good luck to you

hughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Jake

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 11:28am PST 
We have an appointment next week Wednesday at UW-Madison, for a 2nd opinion. Hopefully they can give us some answers and tell us what is wrong with Jake. Even if it is cancer, at least we will know. I will keep you posted when we hear more.
Thank you all your kind words and input
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 2:07pm PST 
I dont know what can i suggest or advice, i only wish you hold on and fight, all will be fine or there is nothing to live for! Good luck dear!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4