GO!

how to stop my dog leaking urine constantly

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:27pm PST 
my staffordshire bull terrier puppy leaks wee constantly she drips 24/7 some times her privates really smell fishy. she wakes up in a puddle even when she sits down through the day she leaves a wet patch. she gets lots of walks and has got access to garden all day. when she does go out she wees the same/as much as any other dog HELP PLEASE
[notify]
Star

I'm a princess- and I know it.

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 1:31pm PST 
Has your dog been fixed recently? I know that with my dog, Star, after she was spayed, she began to leak profusely. She had no issues prior to her surgery, but it's possible she already had weak sphincter muscles to begin with. Either way, the vet put her on a prescription for Proin, which stopped her leaking. It took a day or two to kick in, but so far so good. The only issue I've found is that she's going to be on this medication for the rest of her life. Some dogs seem fixed of their incontinence after a few doses, but for Star, she needs to be taking it on a daily basis in order for her to stop leaking. The only other issue is that her intake of Proin, the dosage, has had to be upped again and again because one pill a day doesn't work for her anymore. Then again, she is about eleven years old now. I would consult with your vet on what you should do. In the meantime you can buy your dog some doggy diapers.
[notify]
Toshi

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:19pm PST 
Have you had her checked out by a vet to find out why she's leaking? It may be something that could be treated. If it can't be treated, or until then, you can use a diaper on your dog to stop her from peeing all over. My girl dog also has incontinence issues due to her medication and she wears diapers in the house. It works just fine and she doesn't end up with urine all over her butt and legs like she did before. You have to change the diaper fairly often to prevent skin irritation.
You can use regular baby diapers if you cut a hole for the tail. I use them backwards as it's easier to put it on that way. You can also get reusable doggy diapers. I have this kind: http://www.poochpad.com/poochpants.html . It works very well and fits well. It's machine washable and can be dried in the dryer. It's a bit pricey but you can use it for a long time so it's cheaper than baby diapers in the long run.
I also have this kind: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/SnuggEase-Reusable-Dog-Diaper s/289020.aspx . I don't like it though. It's made a bit bigger than other diapers to accommodate male dogs and as a result it's too big for my girl dog. It even looks uncomfortable for her. They may fit another dog better though and they do absorb urine very well.

My dog has no problem wearing the diaper. She pretty much accepted it right away. If your dog won't do the same there are diaper suspenders you can get which makes it harder for your dog to take the diaper off, like this one: http://www.fancynancys.com/panties/trellispantiesl.jpg

Good luck!
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:33pm PST 
The first thing you need to do is have a urine sample analyzed at your vet's. UTIs are extremely common, especially in puppies.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:44pm PST 
I'm with Ember on this... it really SOUNDS like a UTI, and will continue to get worse unless it is treated with an appropriate antibiotic if so. UTI's can easily end up infecting the kidneys, resulting in potential life long problems.
That fishy smell is also an indicator of a UTI. Get a urine sample to your vet for analysis. The frequent leaking is because it HURTS so they don't completely empty their bladder.
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 9:55am PST 
thanks for your answers .....we did go to vets when we first noticed it they said there is a operation she can have its £3500 and it only small chance of it working or we can have her put down she only 8 months old but she's part of the family now she's such a loving dog and so well behaved but we just cant afford it I am just looking for tips on how to keep it under control really things like limit her fluid intake ect we got to get rid of all carpets get leather sofa. I herd there was some certain herbs that can help but I forgot name of them sods law lol
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 10:45am PST 
What testing did the vet do that made them believe surgery or euthanasia were the only options?

Even if it has been confirmed that this is a true incontinence problem, there are drugs available to treat incontinence. They aren't my preferred route, but I'd certainly try them before I went to surgery with a low success rate!

Urinalysis should be step one. If there is any discharge from her vulva, it should be cultured as well. Depending on results, an ultrasound may be in order.

Limiting water is generally not a good idea, unless your dog is healthy and has a problem with compulsive drinking. If there is a physical problem related to kidney function, she may need extra fluids to keep flushing her system out.

Making sure she can go out frequently, using diapers with frequent changes, buying easy to watch beds and that sort of thing will help you manage the problem in the meantime.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 1:15pm PST 
Is there another vet within driving distance if your home? This does not sound right to me. If she were my dog is take her to another vet for a second opinion.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 1:49pm PST 
I agree about getting a second opinion. Doesn't sound right for your vet to have such limited choices. As long as your puppy is happy and otherwise healthy she can live a normal and fulfilling life, many incontinent dogs do. I'm gathering you're from the UK, so you might want to search online for any forums or support groups for incontinent dogs.

Either way you want to get a definite answer on what you're dealing with first.
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 9:50am PST 
thank you .... im going to go for second opinion ill keep u posted .... once again thank you x
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2