GO!

Best natural flea prevention?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 11:21am PST 
It's that time of year again and I wound up using Advantage on the dogs. I really dislike doing that, but the darn fleas got ahead of mefrown After doing some internet research and a little bit of critical thinking, it seems like natural methods work best for prevention, not cures. Ah , but which ones? So much info, so little research. I am a big believer in DE for their living area, and those beneficial bugs that eat fleas ( I can't even come close to spelling that lol) are recommended often for outside. Then comes the essential oils and the food additive recommendations. How confusing. I am a strong believer in good nutrition for dogs and people. I think that brewers yeast or B vitamins are probably the most logical nutritional method. OTH, my son swears by peppermint oil to keep flies away . I tried it and it works for me. Only works on black flies, not mosquitoes, unfortunatelyfrown I haven't got a clue if it would work on fleasshrug Some people say lavender works on fleas, ticks and mosquitoes but apparently some studies were done, and it doesn't work. If I did any of the essential oils, I would most likely put it on their collars, not directly on them . Can anyone point me to anything natural that has real research studies to back it up?

Edited by author Thu May 16, '13 11:24am PST

[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:55pm PST 
Well I don't have a suggestion that is backed by scientific studies, just my own personal experience. I live in the south and fleas and ticks are a HUGE problem. I not only have to treat my dog, but also my lawn. I have a Lab that eats everything, grass, mulch, tree's, we have to watch him closely, so I can't use anything that would be harmful to him. I use DE, but I also use a product by Wondercide, called Evolv...that's for Pets. They also make products for humans and lawns, etc. It contains cedar-wood oil, and smells wonderful. The cedar-wood they use is the Texas Red Cedar, which contains no phenol's. Phenol's have been shown to be harmful to humans and pets. The product first acts as a repellant, but does kill when it comes into contact with insects, like fleas.

Maybe you can find some research on cedar-wood oil that doesn't contain phenol's, and see what you find as far as reliability. Good luck! Let us know what your research turns up.

Don't you just love flea and tick season big grin
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 6:36pm PST 
Thanks Max. I havent had a chance to research yet, but it does make sense since cedar has a history of being used for flea repellingsmile

ETA found this smile

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/3150fact.pdf

Edited by author Thu May 16, '13 6:42pm PST

[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 2:51pm PST 
I love this stuff

neem oil
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:17pm PST 
Dylan, Neem Oil also seems to have studies backing it up smile

http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Articlespdf/Natural%20Approa ches%20for%20Flea%20Control.pdf
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 3:29am PST 
we spray it on the barn floor to help keep the fleas off the feral cats that ya cant touch. and the human uses it on herself

it also keeps those nasty gnats away from us
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 4:03am PST 
That sounds good Dylansmile

I found a study pertaining to peppermint oil in regard to cockroaches *shudder* . If it can kill cockroaches, I bet it will kill fleas toothinking

http://scentsoc.org/Volumes/JAUE/v18/149.pdf
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 3:46pm PST 
really? peppermint oil kills those?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:31am PST 
Yes, Dylansmile I went back and reread the study and realized there is a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo but I did find a few ordinary wordslaugh out loud

For some reason I can't post the whole paragraphshrug At any rate, after a certain concentration of mint oil fumigation all the cockroaches were dead within 24 hours. The same result was shown with cockroaches put in a jar with peppermint oil infused cotton balls. smile

Edited by author Sun May 19, '13 3:38am PST

[notify]