GO!

Has anyone here used Rimadyl for arthritis?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Toshi

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 10:52pm PST 
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Rimadyl for arthritis or something else. If so, how did you use it for your dog? I mean, did you use it daily or just as needed on bad days? For how long did you use it? Is it more beneficial if used daily for a few weeks and then switch to as needed? Or can the dog keep taking it daily long term, assuming that the liver remains okay?

I've already discussed this issue with my vet but I didn't get much wiser so I thought I'd ask others how they used Rimadyl.

Thanks
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:13am PST 
The husband's border collie had rimadyl for arthritis. the stuff is notoriously bad on the kidneys. I Had to point out to them that the dog was retaining water. You can tell because the face gets puffy. Sure enough his kidneys were being damaged, so they had to switch him off of it in the end. He passed away at 16. There's just not a lot of "good" drugs in the long term, I'm afraid. Everything has its side effects. I would give it only on his worse days, but sometimes it's hard to tell when a dog is in pain. they try to hide it, bless them.
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:22am PST 
Garnet was on for a couple weeks because of a knee problem but it didnt seem to help her that much. Her knee is still causing problems and will for the rest of her life. She is almost a year old and when she was very young about 3 months old or younger she fractured the frontal edge of her tibia but it was done while her growth plates were still sealing so it allowed for that portion of the bone to heal twisted which allows for her knee to pop out of place now and then.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 4:33am PST 
There are much safer drugs!!! My vet uses Metacam, and it seems to have way less side effects.
Plain old glucosamine seems to work great in most dogs...I would try that first! Takes up to a few weeks to build up and see results, but it is inexpensive (human OTC via Walmart, etc.) and is extremely safe!
[notify]
Toshi

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:33pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. We are doing the glucosamine/chondroitin (sp) thing but it isn't helping. Neither is Aspirin. The Rimadyl is helping. My vet is basically saying that I can use it daily if a I want to and do blood work after a month or just use it as needed if I want to do that. But what's best? I thought it may be a good idea to give it daily for 2-3 weeks to get the anti-inflammatory effects of the drug and then go on to as needed. How does that sound? (the kidney will be monitored)
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:45pm PST 
The liver issues are more of a concern than the kidneys. Certain breeds have more rapid issues, most notably labradors and other sporting breeds. I know personally of THREE labradors who died after JUST ONE DOSE, others who had fatal liver issues during a simple 5 day trial. Of course, not all dogs will end up dying but in the case of rimadyl, the odds are just too great for me to ever use it with all the safer ones available.
[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:06pm PST 
I used Rimadyl for my Rottweiler for the last 5 years of his life, he lived to be 14, he also suffered from arthritis. He had regular blood panels and he never had any issue with his liver. Rimadyl gave him a better quality of life, he was playful again. But I really think it depends on the individual dog, and just suggest that you always work closely with your vet. I think giving it to him daily for a few weeks, then having a blood panel done to see how the liver is affected would be a good idea. As far as giving it daily or say every other day, it just depends on how your dog responds.

Edited by author Thu May 16, '13 2:07pm PST

[notify]
Lonnie

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:21am PST 
Be careful with Rimadyl! It can cause dogs to have fatal stroke. Have you tried this product?

http://www.amazon.com/pet-supplies/dp/B00076X0K4
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:31am PST 
If you do start your dog on Rimadyl do it on a weekday when you or someone you trust will be around for most of the day.

I was going to start Jasper on Rimadyl, and made the serious mistake of giving him his first pill on a Sunday. He had such profuse vomiting and diarrhea that I was brought back to the months we spent trying to treat his persistent giardia.

I now start any new medication on a day when my regular vet is OPEN, as the trip to the e-vet cost me $600. Not that I mind spending the money if he needs it, but I have Mondays off and should have given it the next morning so that I could have seen his regular doctor if there was a problem.

Many dogs don't have a problem with rimadyl, but some dogs' GI tracts just can't handle it. Jasper takes Previcox now on an as-needed basis, and his stomach is fine with it.shhshh
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 9:02pm PST 
Hershey was diagnosed with severe hip displaysia/degenerative joint around 5 years ago, and was managed for a long time with just glucosamine (Dasuquin, which he still takes) and also Omega 3 fatty acids (he still takes this too).

He's had a lot more trouble with them over the past year so the vet prescribed Rimadyl for him to take on an intermittent basis for when he need its. Not every drug is right for every dog, but Rimadyl has really helped him a lot. otherwise he have a lot of trouble getting up, and can't walk well without limping.

I've never had a problem with it and the benefits of Rimadyl outweigh any potential downsides in Hershey's case.

Edited by author Thu May 23, '13 9:05pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2