GO!

Heartworm Treatment - What To Expect?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bauer

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 8:35am PST 
I'm currently fostering a dog for my local Humane Society - I just got her on Friday. I believe she was surrendered because the owner knew she had heartworms, although she told them it was because she had to move. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

I got her into the vet yesterday, and she tested HW positive - both adults and juveniles. So I will be going through the full treatment with her before she can be adopted out. Ivermectin/Doxycycline - Immiticide - Confinement.

Of course, I've discussed the whole treatment regimen with the vet including side effects. But I'm looking for advice from those who have been through it. Stuff your vet didn't warn you about? Tips and advice?

I don't usually foster, but her previous foster had her for a week and decided it was "too much work" before she ever even got the dog to the vet and left us high and dry. So here I am.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 4:20pm PST 
I did one foster with HW, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. The confinement was a pain, but doable...I kept her shut in my bedroom and she was fine, even with my other dogs in the house.
The thing that surprised me the most was the amount of pain she was in from the injections. Even with pain meds on board she would just lie there twitching in pain and moaning. Not pretty. Because of the amount of worms, she did require two separate series of injections with two in each series.
She is now two years post treatment and perfect in every way!!!
[notify]
Milton

I Only Eat It- Raw!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 9:50pm PST 
I advise you to stay away from the conventional heartworm treatment. It is just too dangerous. I would never put my dog through that. The most intelligent way to treat heartworms is to give herbs that support the dog’s immune system so the body can fight them naturally. These herbs include black seed, licorice, hawthorn, hops, and sorrel. I would never, ever put Invermectin or any other drug in my dog’s body! Drugs come with side effects, sometimes very, very dangerous. I recommend looking into a product called Amber Technologies HWF. Using conventional treatment can and does cause death on occasion. Here is the link to HWF:
http://ambertech.com/ambertech-hwf-herb-functions/

It contains black seed (immune stimulant), licorice (anti-viral), hawthorn (diuretic), hops (sedative), sorrel (anti-cancer), garlic (antibiotic), apricot pits (anti-tussive) and grapefruit seed extract (bactericide).

It works slowly, but surely and safely.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 4:22am PST 
Wow, Friday is early this week!!!
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 6:40am PST 
We had a dog that went through HW treatment the conventional way. I wouldn't advise anything else. Just because somethings says natural doesn't mean its safe. Last I read apricot pits (seeds) contain cyanide. shrug
[notify]
Bauer

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 7:53am PST 
I appreciate the input and respect that not everyone will agree on the best treatment method.

However, she will undergo the conventional treatment. That is the decision of the rescue group under whose umbrella she falls. My job is not to make that decision (for which I'm grateful) but just to make her as comfortable and safe during the treatment as possible.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 3:55am PST 
We had a rescue that did the two dose treatment. About 3 months on ivermectin, he was in too bad of shape to be treated at first, 30 days of Doxycycline and then the treatment. He had pain meds for the first few days, but almost no reaction to the treatment. I think the ivermectin and Doxycycline made a huge difference. Keeping him quiet was the only challenge. Today he is heartworm negative big grin

Good Luck
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 4:07pm PST 
Fritz, I thought they always did the doxy and ivermectin first???? My vet always does, except obviously, those with the mutant collie gene.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 4:38pm PST 
The vet that does our treatment doesn't do the doxy/ivermectin first. I would never take my dogs to him though... He is very rural and does things "old school".

Sarah is a heartworm survivor, she was my foster dog and came to me a few days after treatment. I had a really hard time keeping her calm (she's a jack russell mix) and at one point she was coughing up a little bit of blood. She had been in her crate but was scared (I was mowing the lawn). She must have been pretty anxious in the crate, because as soon as I let her out, she started coughing up blood frown. Very scary!!

Edit: by "our treatments" I mean the rescue groups's treatment, not my own...

Edited by author Fri May 17, '13 8:36pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 4:23am PST 
Hey Toto, we are rural. I researched the best heartworm treatment and then requested the doxy and ivermectin. I'm glad I did, my vet was cooperative but said he usually doesn't give doxy (they only recently got a chip reader after the younger vet bought the practice. He is making changes so maybe they will get more modern in other areas)

Moral is to do your research, not every vet is on the cutting edge of treatment, especially not in the rural south
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2