GO!

Discussing the options...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 9:33am PST 
About a week ago, we rushed Belgian into urgent care as he was having trouble urinating. After five catheters filled with urine, and tests being done, Belgian was sent home. Three days after that, we got a call saying that the tests were boring and all they could find was amorphous dust and no crystals. Because Belgian was no longer having issues, the vet decided against doing X-rays and that we would do them if the symptoms came back.

A week has passed and Belgian is now having the same issues. I have an appointment tonight to discuss what options we have. I really don't want to have to do surgery as he has had issues with that in the past but I am afraid that we will have to end up doing just that. He will be 11 years old in July and that is what also scares me. What is giving me hope though is the fact that I am constantly be told that for his age, he is one of the more fit and active labs that people have met.

I also am afraid the vet will want to put him on a Prescription diet. I have been feeding Natural Balance LID to him for years with no issue until now. I am not comfortable doing Raw or Homecooked (even though I know it is probably the best choice.)so I don't know what kibble to look into or if I have to do cans.

Belgian has been relatively healthy his entire life. I am just scared and worried for my boy. I just don't know what to expect. cry
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 9:58am PST 
I wouldn't jump to a surgery option just yet. I would think they would do xrays or other tests to determine if there's something else causing a blockage.

As for the dog food, I totally hear you on that. My dog had a urinary tract infection and the vet wanted him on Royal Canins urinary SO. I didn't want him eating that so I compromised with th vet and started giving him berry balance which is a powder we put him his food. So far, so good.

Anyway, I get being nervous especially since you don't have any specific answers. Hopefully they figure things out quickly hughughug
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 1:52pm PST 
For right now the most important thing is to keep his urine dilute. Add water to his food, offer water spiked with low sodium broth and the like. Most common cause is likely a bladder infection, has a sterile urine culture been done?
[notify]

Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 3:35pm PST 
Belgian was on a similar diet when he was younger and it wasn't until we switched to higher quality foods when I realized the change. I know the prescription diets have worked for some dogs on here but Belgian does not respond well to some of the ingredients that are in the prescription diets.

We were told to give him those cranberry juice capsules and I do that every night. What is Berry Powder and where can I get it? I have been also making sure that he has always had access to fresh water and since getting sick, he has been fed with water added to the kibble.

They did do the urine culture. The vet said when they did the catheter initially, she felt something move but the test results came back as amorphous debris and no crystals. She had felt because Belgian was basically back to normal, we would only do x-rays if he had symptoms again. I can't remember but I thought she ruled out infection.

Thanks you guys. I appreciate the feedback. I really hate seeing my otherwise active boy, so uncomfortable. frown
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:49pm PST 
Sure thing...i was going to ask about urine culture too. I don't think you can use the cranberry capsules and the berry powder at the same time? I'm not sure. It's called Berry Balance and you can find it on amazon. I have heard others mention the cranberry capsules.

I see he is 10 years old as well so they might want to rule out other stuff too with the xray.

I hate to see him uncomfortable too...hopefully he feels better soon way to go
[notify]
Belgian

I am the- Chocolate boy!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:46pm PST 
Round two:

Belgian was having issues all day. Seriously all day... I was glad that the vet was able to squeeze him in on such a busy day. As we were leaving for our appointment, he let out a stream and then just was the active dog that I know and love. I still wanted to check him out so I took him in.

The vet (same clinic but the first vet we used wasn't there today) did a full exam on him, but she wanted to see how he would do on a walk, so we went outside and walked him around the yard. The vet had said that he let out one of the healthiest streams that she had seen. They decided to take him back and gave him a rectal exam. Again, it was like none of this ever happened the vet said. He even tried to instigate play with a Shih Tzu.

Because Belgian was very nervous, she didn't want to run x-rays today. She said it would stress him out even more and at this point wouldn't be worth it.
So we are basically back to square one. We have to keep an eye out on him in case this happens yet again. We are also to mix some canned food into his diet. After the vet, since Petco was down the street, I got Belg a new toy (there was a lot of distractions at the vet and he was a superstar throughout it all) and grabbed some canned versions of the food he already eats.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 3:42am PST 
It sounds like it might be time to request a referral to a special ist, visit an university, or at least get a second opinion from a different practice.

I hope you feel better soon.

Fritz

PS it is common for dogs in our pack to live to be 17 of 18, even big dogs. 10 is a spring chicken.
[notify]