GO!

Diarrhea...please help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 6:57am PST 
My golden retriever has had the trots on and off for over a month now. She's on flea and tick preventative, she's on Iverheart so she's wormed, and she eats a good quality kibble (Acana). I'm at my wits end. She a service dog, but I am unable to use her as such because of her stomach issues. I can't risk her having a bout in the middle of a store, you know? This is stressful as heck for me because as a disabled person I need her help. I can't take her places with me, and I am afraid to leave her home alone as well for fear I'll come home to poopmageddon.
I tried adding pumpkin to her kibble and I thought I had found the fix as she had nice regular stool for several days. Yesterday I was out of pumpkin so I added some oatmeal to her kibble (fiber). This morning she ran out the door and made a poo puddle again.

I seriously need some help here. The vet suggested taking her off food until it cleared up, which we did, but once we started feeding again, it's back. cry
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 7:38am PST 
If it cleared up when you switched her food, and started again as soon as you switched back, her food is the problem. Switch foods. There are good brands out there other than Acana.
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:19am PST 
I've never switched food.
[notify]

Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:30am PST 
Then I'm not sure what you mean by, "The vet suggested taking her off food until it cleared up, which we did, but once we started feeding again, it's back."

I would still consider switching foods. Also very worthwhile to have a fecal sent out to a lab for analysis. Heartworm preventatives don't kill all worms, or parasites like giardia.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 11:06am PST 
your dog may have a sensitive stomach...I have not added oatmeal to make a firmer stool but I have used pumpkin and had good success.

So, with Acana, are you having problems?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 11:39am PST 
I would have a fecal run just in case (though parasites can slip through a fecal).

Too much food can cause diarrhea as well. Could your dog need a little less food now? Have you tried feeding the same amount of food but in smaller, more frequent meals?
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 1:27pm PST 
This is likely not going to be a popular opinion, but have you considered this might be an immune problem, dogs today have their immune systems cluster bombed by vaccines and pesticides in the name of health. Heart worm medicine is highly toxic and can cause the symptoms you describe. Here is a blog article by an holistic vet that describes a dog with the same issues which were brought on every time they had heartworm medication.

http://vitalanimal.com/heartworm-pills-sick/ and http://vitalanimal.com/heartworms/

The solution is repairing a damaged immune system, and preventing further damage, unfortunately most conventional vets have no clue how to do this, all they can do is offer toxic drugs that suppress the immune system further and it ends up a spiral of ill health.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 1:49pm PST 
If it stopped when she stopped eating perhaps she doesn't need as much food right now. Try simply cutting back by 25% for a couple days. I know if Max gets more than 25% more a day he will have softer and more frequent stools so at agility trials I had to count his before and after run treats as part of his diet.
[notify]
JD

Mines a large- jumbone

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 2:09pm PST 
Our 7 year old retriever had the same problem and were advised by the vet to give Promax. This solved the issue straight away to our great relief and his !

the problem was related to the intestinal mucosa in the gut.

puppy
[notify]
the purple- girls of- oregon

all you need is- love

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 2:21pm PST 
Gonna pmail you
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2