GO!

CCL Tear and what to do

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 6:29am PST 
Hey Everyone! Max has either partially or completly torn his CCL. we have a appointment on the 6th at the UF Vet Hospital. I just have a couple questions. 1) Has anyone ever been treated at UF? What was done and how did it go? 2) What about the CCL surgery? Did you go with the TLPO or TTA or something different? 3) Also I have reviewed the following site and found it very interesting http://www.tiggerpoz.com/ has anyone followed these steps to non surgically repair a CCL? Max started limping in Jan and I took him to vet every month and they kept say it was Hip Dyplesia, needless to say I am very upset at my vet,, then this thursday we were in the in the yard and he ran to fence since then he can put no weight on his hind right leg. Thanks!
[notify]
Pippin

Grrrrrrr

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 8:11am PST 
I had TPLO on both knees. I am as good as new and feel so much better. I was treated by a board certified special ist from Auburn university who comes to our area once a month.

Good Luckhug
[notify]
Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 12:09pm PST 
Thanks Pippin! I was wondering if i can ask some questions? How long ago was this? What was your recovery like and if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost (don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable doing so)?
[notify]

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 12:34pm PST 
Since Max is still a young dog(treatment options can differ for older dogs as they don't always recover well from the surgery) I would go with either the TPLO or TTA surgery as they are both very successful surgeries. The TTA will be more expensive. Around here a TPLO runs $1500-2000 per leg.

As for recovery TPLO recovery usually only takes about 6 months of getting proper joint movement and strength back and most of the time they are weight bearing after surgery where other surgeries they tend to hold the leg up for 2 months or so. Other ways of repairing the CCL can take a year or more of recovery.

I would not go with a conservative option(I would if he was not a good candidate for surgery or was older) as it can cause more damage and then since they are offloading their weight onto the uninjured leg it can cause the other CCL to tear.

I would also put him on a joint supplement right away to try and slow any arthritis. He is going to most likely have some arthritis since it wasn't diagnosed right away.
[notify]
Pippin

Grrrrrrr

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 12:41pm PST 
Let's see. It was close to 3 years ago. I had one knee done at a time. I spent a month in a crate, only getting out about 3Xs a day to pee."Minimal steps" My crate had wheels so it could roll wherever my family was hanging out. After 30 days I started out with short walks, moved into an X pen outside for a few hours a day and increased my exercise until after about another 30 days I was good and getting ready to do the second surgery.

I never took a lame step once the surgery was over and part of the issue was keeping me from moving around too much afterwards because my knee felt a lot better. (It had to heal and I had to try not to put too much stress on the plates until it did because it would have been very bad if a plate broke)I had to lose weight, I wasn't fat but in the heavy side of normal. I am now on the light side of normal and have to stay that way.

I occasionally have a little pain in one of my knees when the weather changes. I had arthritis in my knees from the tears. (My injuries weren’t traumatic; it was conformation and a gradual tearing. The surgery arrested the arthritis and it hasn't gotten any worse. Last year I had both knees x rayed. They are completely healed and look good.

My surgeries cost $2500 per knee. A non-board certified special ist would have cost a little less, but given they were going into my knee joint; my person wanted the special ist to do the surgery.

I feel I had a good outcome and given the same choice, I would get the surgery again.

Feel free to paw mail or email my person.
Xamier@wildblue.net
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 2:06pm PST 
A friend's dog had 2 TPLOs in Nov. 2012 and early 2013. It was $3000 per surgery just for the surgery itself. But price varies widely by area.

ETA: my intended post contained more info but Dogster is giving me problems with "G-rated" words. I got tired of trying to figure out which already "G-rated" word or words in my response was what their code was puking on.

Edited by author Sun Apr 28, '13 2:11pm PST

[notify]
Max

Lifes a Beach -

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 4:01pm PST 
Thanks everyone! The estimate from UF is $2000-3500 so that sounds about right. I am concerned about the rehab though. Max is terrified of crates and i worry that if i confine him to one he will freak out and injure himself more. I currently have him on a gluocosmine supp but thinking of switching to cosequen.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 4:38pm PST 
Sent you a p-mail because Dogster won't allow my message to go through due to non-G-rated words. Not sure what I wrote that isn't G-rated but oh well.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 3:01am PST 
Chance, I was told somewhere else that the word Special ist is a flag word on dogster. If you were using that word, that may be your problemsmile I still haven't figured out why and can't really be bothered to sit down and ponder it outwink

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 3:02am PST

[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 4:38am PST 
Maybe try an X-Pen and get him used to it slowly. Feed him his meals in there and make it a really happy place. If you are home with him he can be out as long as he is closely monitored. From what I've heard rehab is pretty straightforward and goes pretty smoothly with the TPLO surgeries
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2