GO!

First go around with Bully sticks? Any input

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:43pm PST 
Well I finally gave in and gave them bully sticks. They were rather long. I only gave them to them for about 20 minutes. One dog ate almost half the other dog hardly made a dent in his.
I always worry about new bones etc.
What are your experiences with them.
I supervised them eating, Im pretty sure the one dog ate a few pieces whole the size of a dime. That was our test run. If all goes well they can have it back next week.
I did throw them in a bag in the freezer until I give them again, to help with bacteria?
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:50pm PST 
Bully Sticks is not bone.. it is dehydrated bull penis.
My guys get 2-3 each a week, the foot long ones.
Never caused diarrhea or upset stomach with us.. We also don't store them in the freezer/fridge. They have this realllly long braided one that was 30 inches long we got from PetExpo last May.. still sitting on the kitchen counter. It goes really slow because we use it for long car rides and junk (which arent that often).

My puppy's gums sometimes bleed though. But it doesn't really worry me
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:57pm PST 
Yes i know they are bull penis.
I only thought of storing them in freezer because of all the drool on them, I didn't want bacteria growing on them while I stored them.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:39pm PST 
You can store it at room temperature, jake has had a smoked cow foot for 2 months. It's been chewed on dipped in broth and nearly dismantled and i have yet to see mold or nasty, to be honest dogs have and usually do eat worst things then a half chewed on bully stick left out xP. It's smoked meat it'll be good for a while.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:48pm PST 
Well they are high in protein, so if your dogs aren't used to that it could cause some upset. And depending on how sensitive the dog is, anything new has the potential to cause diarrhea. They seem to give Onyx mucousy stool sometimes, but he has a pretty sensitive stomach.

My dogs always eat the entire stick, so I've never needed to worry about what to do with a half eaten one. But I know lots of people have them out for days/weeks at a time for their dogs to nibble without storing them in any way. I'm sure freezing them won't hurt though.
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:59pm PST 
I've given many bully sticks but I've found they are not all created equal. Some brands are better than others so you just have to find a good brand. This one brand I tried made my dogs gums bleed. So I stopped giving those ones. But other than that my dog loves them. Usually he chews them down bit by bit and eats small pieces. One time (when he was teething) he was more just licking it and nibbling it and the stick got sorta that soft gooey look to it and then he just swallowed the 6 inch stick whole! He did have diareah after that but that's the only time they upset his tummy.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:01am PST 
We've been feeding bullies for awhile from bestbullysticks and the ladies who work there have always told me putting the sticks in the freezer will cut down on any smell, too. our pups love 'em. i feel really good about feeding them because they're only one ingredient.
[notify]