GO!

Older dog not eating after spay surgery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lilly

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:01pm PST 
We adopted Lilly a month ago. She's 8 yrs. old. We agreed to have her spayed as part of the adoption agreement. Took her for pre surgery blood work and everything came back good, so the surgery was done this past Friday. (5 days ago) Other than taking longer than I expected to clear the anesthisa out of her system, she responded well to the surgery. The only issue she is having is eating....well, not eating much. She normally LOVES her food. Any food actually. Now I'm lucky if I can get her to eat 2 cups of kibble a day. She weighs 80 pounds and is a big dog so that is a good weight for her.

I've tempted her with scrambled eggs mixed into her food ,which she ate the first time, but won't again. I have also tried adding cooked chicken, and also some lean burger. She's not having any of it. Today I tried adding some canned lamb and brown rice dog food to some kibble, and she won't touch it.

She's drinking well, and still eating enough to have a small bowl movement every day, but I know she needs to eat more. The surgery site also looks great, and she's not running a temp.

Any suggestions on something that may get her to eat? Or am I just expecting too much, too soon, after surgery at her age? I've talked to my vet...who was also her vet before we adopted her, and he thinks she'll come around, but wants to see her in a week or so if her food intake doesn't pick up.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:33pm PST 
Is she on any meds? Sometimes medications will cause them not to eat well. It could take her longer to fully recover and act normal again.
[notify]