GO!

My beagle has a bald spot...serious??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sam

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:20pm PST 
I noticed tonight that Sam has a little bald spot about 3 fingers wide on his stomach. I'm not sure if it is something I should be concerned about or not. His chest/stomach area also seems to be rather thin. He doesn't appear to be itchy or sore around the area. He's eating and drinking regularly as well. He's acting like his usual self, nothing out of the ordinary other than the bald patch. I noticed he's been shedding a lot more than usual, but I'm just thinking it's the time of year for him to shed. He usually sheds a great deal when he's stressed, but other than his dad going away for a couple weeks nothing has changed in our home. He's a beagle mix just in case that helps.

Could it be from the food I'm feeding him? I feed both our dogs Acana chicken and burbank potato, it's not the grain free type. Should I consider switching to the grain free kind to see if that helps? I've been googling to see if I could find anything, but I haven't found anything useful. Other than scaring me into thinking he has some horrible disease.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas or advice or has gone through something like this. I'd like to try and avoid an expensive vet visit just to find out it's nothing serious. He's due for his shots in a few weeks, but I just wanted to ask all of you to see if I can get any idea of what it could be first.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 5:19am PST 
Hmmm it could be allergies...thinking possibly mange, but really you can't say for sure. Did you just recently change his dog food? If he has been eating the dog food and these are recent changes, I wouldn't suspect it was the food causing it. It could be environmental allergies.

I'm not sure if I would wait before it gets much worse. thinning hair and bald spot indicate something is going on. Maybe see if you dog can get his shots a little earlier than waiting 3 weeks. Maybe in a week or so?
[notify]