GO!

Hair loss after switching to raw

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tampopo

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:33am PST 
I have switched my 4yr old adopted papillon 2 weeks ago to raw and since early this week, I noticed she was losing hair on one of her ears. There's no smell and both her ears are clean (inside), but there's a balding patch on the outside of one of it.

I'm not sure if this is her detox process (anyone else encountered a similar problem?) cos otherwise she seems to enjoy her raw food more (excited about food, energy level increase etc).

I'm not even sure if the hair loss is related to her change in diet, because the rest of her body seems okay. Should I take her to the vet?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:54am PST 
Hi!

Jake only lost hair while on raw do to self mutilation. he used to lick or scratch his own fur off.

Does she have any protein allergies? If she does then the hair loss may be from that but usually it's all over not centrally located from what i understand.

If it's just in one spot behind her ear i would monitor it another week or so and then take to the vet if it really concerns you.
[notify]
Fox

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 3:20pm PST 
Since you only switched 2 weeks ago, I would doubt the food change is responsible. If there she were having something like an allergic reaction, I suspect there would be a rash accompanying the hair loss.

With hair loss, I'd be thinking more of environmental factors. Specifically if she's been scratching or rubbing on something, or even just scraped hard against something once. Especially if the spot appeared suddenly and just hasn't started to grow back yet.

If the spot is actively growing, you could be dealing with ringworm or a similar fungal infection. Definitely get it checked out, since ringworm in particular is transferable to humans.
[notify]