GO!

Possible Seizures?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:18am PST 
Hi everyone - this is my first time posting here, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. My dog (Chi mix) Ella has always had a problem with vomiting, usually at night, usually in my bedcry This morning I woke up to the sound of retching, so I jumped out of bed, picked her up and put her in the floor, and ran for something to clean up with. But when I put her in the floor she didn't move. She was very stiff, with her legs sticking straight out (not laying on her side). She didn't actually convulse, at least not that I could see. When I picked her up she whined a little and still stayed stiff for a few minutes. Afterwards she acted very strange, moving tenderly and stiffly. She did go to the bathroom ALOT when I sent my dogs out into the yard (right afterward). This all happened a little less than an hour and a half ago, and now she seems completely fine. She's been sleeping mostly, but a dog barked outside and she jumped up, barked, and ran outside as usual - none of the stiffness or "tenderness" like before. Anyway, I am wondering if it was actually some sort of seizure. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'd love to hear some other opinions before I get too worried. Otherwise she is in good health for a seven year old little doggy! Thanks!
[notify]
Kubo

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 7:22am PST 
It does kind of sound like a seizure, but when our dog had one there was a lot of obvious shaking & leg 'running', I guess it can manifest in different ways. The disorientation part sounds very much like an after-fit reaction. They often look very 'lost', shake, urinate with no control & generally appear 'out of it' for a few minutes after.
It can happen for no reason at all in dogs & may never happen again. No one knows why.

The vet can do a blood test & see if there is an imbalance that could cause a fit.
As I understand, in young dogs it can be common & have no real reason, our dog had one only & a year later nothing more. however, in older dogs it can be a sign of something more serious.

I would certainly go to the vet for a blood test, it might show an problem easily fixed with diet.
It could even be a temporary reaction to something eaten.

If it does turn out to be epilepsy, then it can be medicated. You should do research on the Internet about this because there a various opinions of owners & accepted vet medication which conflict about what is best.

Good luck & I hope it turns out to be something minor.
[notify]
Kubo

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 7:28am PST 
Actually, re-reading your post, I'm now thinking this isn't a seizure. Definitely a weird reaction for the dog, but if it was a siezure I think it would be obvious to you.
Go get her checked out. Don't worry too much, the vet will help.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:00am PST 
Like the previous poster, at first I thought that your dog definitely had seizures. But as I researched on what a seizure would actually be like in dogs, I figured the unusual behavior your dog was in could not be a seizure after all. In any case, I would recommend a vet visit. Did this just happen once ever?

By the way, here's a link that will help you identify what a seizure is: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/anim al-health/seizures-general-for-dogs/903.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:58am PST 
I'm not sure about that. I would talk to your vet about it. My dog had a seizure. He became very stiff. the vet asked if he fell over and he didn't...he actually started to fall over (most dogs having a seizure would typically fall over) but kept himself upright. He was aware enough to keep himself from falling over. There was falling over or kicking, foaming, any of that (I had another dog who used to have grand mal seizures).

Now our situation was different that after he was stiff for a minute and a half, and once it was over he was wobbly and acted drunk...that went on for a few minutes. Some dogs with seizures just come out of it and feel tired, feel weak, but not all.

Just keep an eye on it. Maybe what you can do is video tape it next time. I guess I don't want you to just write it off because a "blank stare" can be a seizure. There are "absence" seizures where a dog stares. My understanding is they can have these seizures for 15 sec...30 seconds and when it's over they go back to normal activity.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 12:10pm PST 
Mmk... I'm going to go against what others are saying.

I do think the possibility of it having been a seizure are there. A partial, or a petite. Clearly not a grand mal - but there are VARIOUS forms of seizures. A friend had a foster dog who had aggressive tendencies and snapped at invisible flies all day and it turned out she was having Focal Seizures. A dog DOES NOT have to be dropping to the floor, convulsing. In fact, many dogs remain on their feet and struggle to keep walking, or try to escape the 'feeling' they get.

Now, keep in mind that MANY things can trigger seizure activity too - if a dog gets into something poisonous, a tumor, a hit on the head, illness/diseases, genetics, you name it and it can often cause seizure activity.

Many Vets would do some tests to verify whether or not it was a seizure, so a vet check may be in order. However, if it was seizure activity, it is likely they will send you home to monitor it and see if she has more.

IF she has more of this behavior prior to you taking her in, try video taping it on a camera or a phone or something so you can give the Vet a proper look at what's going on - also record how long it lasts, what time it happened, any possible triggers(what happened that day), and the date. Keeping a journal of this will ultimately help the Vet in figuring out what is causing it.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 2:23pm PST 
If she often vomits at night I wonder if she is hypoglycemic? I know one thing that can help when a dog has a seizure is rub the gums with something sugary like melted ice cream to keep the blood sugar up and hypoglycemia can cause seizures.

I would try giving her a small snack before bedtime to see if that helps. It helped Max, he was a frequent early morning bile vomiter for years and years unless he got his bedtime cookie.
[notify]
Ella

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:59pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your help. To answer one question, I do remember a similar incident a while back (not sure how long, but definitely not super-recent) that was not quite as severe. I think at that time I thought I just scared her because, again, she was vomiting and I jumped up and quickly put her out of the bed. But this time I could definitely tell there was something wrong, and it wasn't just because she was frightened. And I have to wonder, since she does vomit from time to time, if she has been having some type of small seizure all along and I just didn't know it.

Also, after ALOT of internet research, I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the vomiting and the seizure (assuming that's what it was) are probably the result of low blood suger - I was glad to see that someone else suggested the same thing, it makes me feel like I'm probably on the right track. I'm going to try to make sure from now on that Ella eats something before bed every night. She appears to be fine now, and apparently has been all day. She needs to go to the vet fairly soon for shots anyway (in the next few weeks soon) so if she doesn't show any other strange symptoms I think I'm going to wait it out and just mention it then to see what the vet thinks.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I really do think this was a small seizure, but hopefully we'll get it figured out! This seems like a great site, I'll probably visit oftensmile
[notify]
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:01pm PST 
When Maggie was having seizures before her passing she would usually fall down and paddle or run with just her rear feet. She would often foam at the mouth and lose control of her bladder and sometimes she would end up messing herself as well. There was only one time I remember her biting either the inside of her upper lip or her tongue and causing it to bleed. She also had a focal or head seizure once where it looked like she was standing there shaking her head no very rapidly. We think that the day she passed away she may have had a seizure that led to her passing. However she had either a lesion or tumor on her brain so there was nothing we could do because of her age. She was with us for 8 months after the diagnosis and I miss my sweetie every day.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:24pm PST 
my first thought was hypoglycemic too maxwell
not uncommon in small dogs
[notify]