GO!

Puppy has round lump on hip? Tumor or vaccine reaction?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 7:05pm PST 
Hazel is a 4 month old Chiweenie and recieved her second set of 5 in 1 and bordetella on 4/6/13. I took her to Luvmypet which is a low cost vaccine clinic that works out of petco. For her first round everything was fine. But since her second booster I have noticed in the past week she has a small round bump that I can move around and pinch between my fingers located on her hip.

I am not exactly sure when the bump appeared. Is it common for a lump to appear after a vaccine or is this a tumor? She has been eating fine and still her active puppy self. The bump is relativley small, but still large enough to worry about. I am going back on saturday to get her rabies and ask them what they think about it...

But it is kind of hard to get a hold of anyone because this company does not offer any vet services, besides vaccine and worm testing. I do not really have the money to take her to a vet, but if it gets any bigger I will have no choice but to
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 4:07am PST 
yes a lump or some swelling can be normal after a vaccination, especially if it's in a certain muscle. If your puppy is acting normally, eating, drinking, being playful, that's probably what it is. It should go away after a few days, up to a week.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:39pm PST 
Ok thank you! I have been doing some reading and it could be there quite awhile, I guess it is an uncommon side effect
[notify]

Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:43am PST 
It is an immune reaction to the vaccine, most probably to aluminum which is used as an adjuvant to elicit an immune response to the vaccine's antigens. You see this quite often in children who have received aluminum containing shots like the DTaP. There are nutritional supplements that can help, fish oil is one.

Unfortunately, it is not a rare occurrence.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 1:26am PST 
You need to inform your vet. ask your vet about giving the dog benadryl to reduce that reaction and request that your dog never get a 5 in 1 combo again. That's a reaction to the rabies part of the combo. There is really no reason for a 5 in 1

Foxxy has a bad reaction like that to the rabies shot. We have to give her a shot for her rabies on a separate visit 2 weeks apart from all her others. The vet recomends giving her a benadryl a couple hours prior to the vet visit otherwise she gets a benadryl shot and those are intramuscular so they are painful for the dog.

Foxxy tolerates the parvo/distemper/hepatitis annual shot very well. We don't usually get the one with lepto or parainfluenza. We don't get bortatella either. The last time we got that was when we first adopted taggert from the pound and both dogs got the internasal as a precaution, both were sneezing and honking and miserable for a week. fortunately we can go 3 years between rabies or we would have a very miserable dog.

Always ask your vet where they injected, or be in the room with your dog so that you know where to watch for a reaction.. My vet puts it in between the shoulder blades, but intermusculars like benadryl or penicillin get put in the back leg.

Edited by author Sun Apr 21, '13 1:32am PST

[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 12:03pm PST 
A small lump after a vaccination is not uncommon and usually goes away after a short time.

Foxxy, the 5 in 1 series does NOT contain the rabies vax - it contains distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus (DHPP) . Rabies is always given as it's own shot and preferably at a different time than any other vaccinations.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:41pm PST 
Thank you everyone for the responses! When I took her in yesterday to get the rabies I noticed that the bump had flattened down and was not so circular and protruding. Im guessing it was some kind of cyst that drained out? Also she has had another lump come in due to the rabies shot, so I know it was from the shots. Next year I will see what I can do ( if anything ) to stop this reaction confused
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:17am PST 
I'm not sure it's a reaction so much as just a a part of the vaccines. You are a pretty small pup so there isn't much room to hide a little lump after shots. I could be wrong though. I see it kind of like a little bruise? you know some humans get little bruising after a shot so wonder if it's kind of the same.
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:42am PST 
Quote:

Thank you everyone for the responses! When I took her in yesterday to get the rabies I noticed that the bump had flattened down and was not so circular and protruding. Im guessing it was some kind of cyst that drained out? Also she has had another lump come in due to the rabies shot, so I know it was from the shots. Next year I will see what I can do ( if anything ) to stop this reaction.

It was almost certainly and immune reaction to the adjuvant in the vaxes, this kind of reaction is common with the rabies vax too.

A firm, non-painful lump under the skin at the site of injection:
It is not uncommon, particularly with killed vaccines containing reactive adjuvants (immune system stimulatory additives), to get a lump at the site of vaccination. Generally this lump is under the skinand can be quite mobile. Often somewhere around the size of a pea, right up to the size of a large marble,these vaccine-site-reaction lumps are comprised of a mixture of inflammatory cells(the immune system cells that attacked the injected vaccine) and scar tissue. They may stay the same size for years or can, over time (generally 2-6 weeks), reduce in size. Some will even disappear. In some breeds (e.g. poodle, bichon), these reactions can be associated with dark skin pigmentation and loss of hair at the site of the vaccine. Many veterinarianswill vaccinate show dogs in discrete areas (inside the groin, under the point of the shoulder) toavoid vaccine-associated lumps or hairloss being picked up by judges at shows.

From: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/vaccine-side-ef fects.html#reaction-three

The way to prevent this immune reaction is to take a cold pack to the vets and immediately after the shot apply the cold pack to the injection site. This should be done throughout the day to prevent the immune response to the adjuvants.

I would caution against annual vaccinations, it is not necessary and will only compound the immune damage. Get titers instead.

But, as many veterinarians are realizing, over-vaccination can actually jeopardize a dog's health and even life. Side effects can cause skin problems, allergic reactions and autoimmune disease.

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 4:13pm PST 
I vaccinated Tyler back in 2010, the first time since he was a puppy ( and last ) and he developed a HUGE tennis ball sized lump on the back of his neck that lasted about two/three weeks. I've heard of other people reporting the same reactions and some consider it "normal".
[notify]