GO!

Should a dog be sedated for a BNT ointment pack and ear flush?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dexter

I only eat- cereal- killers...

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 2:52pm PST 
Sorry I'm posting as my old dog, this is about my new pupper. He went in for his neuter and had a bit of an ear yeast thing going on so they asked me for approval to do a BNT flush. This was at the pickup.

To my surprise I was not brought into the exam room to pick him up, but I could hear him screaming all the way in the back from the lobby. Once he came out of the neuter grogginess it became apparent that the ear flush was traumatizing to him and we've had some regression in behavior (especially snappiness that he never had before) and I've been having to do retraining.

This pup is my new SDIT and I feel really bad about this. They did a flush, then the ointment pack. I'm sure he was still a bit groggy but he wasn't "sedated" when they did this. From what I'm reading he should have probably been sedated. I'm not happy with how he was handled that day in other ways too, and I'm hoping he'll bounce back 100% because I've invested months of training into him already.

Has anyone else had this done, was their dog sedated first?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:57am PST 
My dogs haven't had that done, but depending on my dogs' behavior, I might have requested it. I would say something to the vet about it, so it doesn't happen the next time. If they are not receptive to your concerns, then I would find another vet. My vet was always mindful of whether or not they would traumatize Jax. They would always work in a way that make her have the least amount of fear while they did any procedure. Good Luck and I hope his ears get better. smile
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 7:30am PST 
This vet has been informed of his service dog in training status, and that anything done to him needs to be as non-traumatizing as possible. That's why I'm extra ticked. Dexter, the profile I'm posting from, retired due to vet trauma and these guys were awesome with him for any further vet care he needed. Then the vet we were seeing left the practice and I don't like where things are going there frown
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:11pm PST 
Then if I were you, I would find another vet. I switched 3x before I found one I like. They're a little further and slightly more expensive, but they care about how I want my dogs handled. Good Luck and sorry you and your pup had to go through that. frown
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:54pm PST 
That's already in the plan. One of my trainers has a good one here that's great at making nervous dogs comfortable. We're doing good with the retraining from this (power of the clicker!) and both of the trainers think he's going to sail through this but we're not bringing him back to that office ever.

I'm sad to see a good practice go downhill frown
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:24pm PST 
Ummmm! sedation to just flush the ear? And for yeast? Wow, must've been a fairly intense ear flush. I cannot remember a time when we have had to sedate a dog for a simple ear flush but then I don't know how your dog handles Veterinary visits. Why did they not do it when he was out for the neuter, they should've called you of course before doing the procedure but they could've done that while he was in surgery and before they woke him up, that makes more sense than waking him up and then attempting the ear flush, sometimes being groggy does not help the dog relax, and at times can elevate fear making things worse for everyone.
In my very humble opinion I would think about seeking out a new Veterinarian who will work with you better as far as the needs of your dog both medically and training wise.
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 11:52am PST 
If you'd read my post, they didn't flush him under sedation, but I heard him screaming while they did the flush. It wasn't that bad of an infection but they talked me into the big guns without telling me what was involved. I've never had an issue, nor has the groomer or the vets while I've been present when it comes to his ears before. We've had to swab, put ointment in, etc no problem.
From sources online about deep ear flushing most say it should be done under sedation. I was HOPING others who have had this actual procedure done could give me constructive input.
And, as said above, I'm switching vets. This vet new my dog was a service dog in training, only 7 months old, and needed procedures to be as un-traumatic as possible.
[notify]
Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:50pm PST 
Honestly it depends on the dog and the severity of the infection. Usually packing means it's pretty bad (vs just a regular topical ointment). Probably about 1/2 of our dogs at work that get an ear flush AND packing have to be sedated, mostly because of the time spent doing it and because of how painful/sensitive their ears are, even just flushing them out.

If he freaked out the first time, chances are he will probably freak out the next time as well- unless he was just extra sensitive because he just got neutered.

Hope this helps and hope he gets to feeling better.
[notify]