GO!

So what are all the interceptor people doing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:05pm PST 
So if you didn't know sentinel is back on the market. But what I have heard is either interceptor is not coming back or maybe way in the future.
I have to prevent ticks. And to be quite honest I don't care about fleas. I treat for them as needed and if I get them I will treat until gone for good.
Im not a fan of using a product that kills fleas for a month internally.
I want interceptor back!
SO what is everyone doing?
I for now am planning on using heartgard and hoping we don't get whipworms. Ill be using frontline or parastar as needed. I thought about getting sentinel and alternating between that and heartgard but then I thought about ticks, and definitely don't want to use a topical and a pill for fleas at the same time!
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:17pm PST 
What you could try doing, if you haven't already, is calling around to different vets in your area to see if they have any interceptor in stock and if so, if they would be willing to sell some to you. Most vets will require recent proof of a heartworm negative test from your own personal vet and/or a faxed prescription; some may require you get the test done with them before they will sell it to you- depends on the vet!

I have my two on Sentinel and am glad to hear it is back in production! Fleas are bad in my part of Texas all year long, and the flea-egg inhibitor in sentinel is MUCH safer/has far fewer negative side effects than the pesticide found in trifexis.

Anyhoo good luck! When I was calling around to find Sentinel, I found calling to places more rural/further out of town seemed to have some stock left due to a naturally smaller influx of regular patients to buy up their stock. Any vet in a busy city will more than likely not have any left.
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:33pm PST 
I work as a tech at a vet. I know its been off market forever.
I actually got a sample of trifexis and gave it right back. One of my dogs constantly vomits from the comfortis portion.
The reason I am so against using sentinel is 1, I don't treat for fleas year round. 2 I am not comfortable using a internal flea product and an external flea product.
I know we come in contact with ticks too.

Edited by author Wed Apr 10, '13 3:33pm PST

[notify]

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:50pm PST 
I found a product from the UK or canada that is interceptor spectrum?
It has praziquantel instead that does all the worms including tapeworm. Im gonna ask the rep next time I see her but why can't we get that here, and I guess its close to the old interceptor but do I really need tapeworm prevention? Not really?
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 8:37pm PST 
Oh Tucker I wasn't trying to convince you to use sentinel! I hope you didn't take it that way- I was just expressing what I did (as sentinel was VERY difficult to find and many vets were out of it, just as interceptor was since they are both made by norvartis) that helped me find some in the shortage, and suggesting that calling other vetrinarians (especially those on the outskirts of town or in rural areas close to your town) to see if they have any interceptor left in stock that they could sell you. I understand your reasons for not using flea preventatives year round, as further north you don't have to deal with fleas literally the entire year like we do down south! Just wanted to clarify that.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:34am PST 
Praying that our vet has some safe alternative we can use. Mika and Kai are due for their wellness exam this month and will need to restart their treatment for fleas,ticks,etc... as well as heartworm and we know our vet has no Interceptor left. Nor does any other vet anywhere near us. Their wellness exam always includes a heartworm screen so that won't be a problem. Akitas and Ivermectin do not mix,so anything like Heartgard is out of the question,I will be asking alot of questions about the other options since Akitas can have alot of allergies and odd reactions to medications. I am worried sick to be honest and wish that even if it is under another name production of Interceptor would restart soon. Best of Luck to Everyone in this situation.hug
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 5:28pm PST 
Oh its okay.. I didn't think you were.. To be quite honest Im very mad at novartis!
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 4:03pm PST 
Mika and Kai-Trifexis has the same active ingredient for heartworm prevention that Interceptor does. It does have Comfortis added for flea protection though and it's more expensive.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:37am PST 
Shadow- That IS one of the options we will be checking into. We haven't made any decisions yet because Akitas tend to have many problems with medications and dosages,our vet will know if the other med in Trifexis is Akita safe. Until we ran out of Interceptor the best combination for our pups was AdvantixII and Interceptor,it covered everything and they sufferd no ill effects,hopefully we can find something that does as well for them. Thanks for the Information though!!hug
[notify]