GO!

Portosystemic shunt

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rambo

Rambo & Fancy CC- littermates

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:33pm PST 
I was supposed to be neutered yesterday, but during the routine pre-op labs it was discoverd my ALT was 400!! The vet tells my mom everything from a-z in about 10 minutes. I wish he would have just said we need to recheck and not go all the way to the worst possible scenarios. We went ahead and did the bile acids since I was already fasting, they did a before and after eating to compare. Don't get thoses results until Monday.

Mom is freaking out, she is a nurse so you know she always thinks the worst. She really needs some hugs, maybe I just ate something (you know how sneaky we can be) that caused it.cry
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 10:29pm PST 
Oh I am so sorry you are having to deal with the waiting game, I think that is just the worst thing, not having answers. I am a Vet Tech so I too think the way you do, I run so many things through my mind and freak out in advance.
I hope that the elevated ALT was just a freak incident. Was the ALKP elevated, BUN low also? Has your pup had any symptoms of a shunt?
Lethargy, anorexia, PU/PD,not thriving? Has your Vet suggested an ultrasound?
Sorry, I did not notice how old your pup is but since he was just going to be neutered I am thinking he is young so they are suspecting that the shunt is congential which is the most common shunt.

I have seen probably 4 shunts in my career all of them were congential, all of them were in extremely small dogs, in fact 3 of them were in tiny poodles, one of them was in a yorkie. They all had the same symptoms, pups that were not thriving as normal pups their age, they were all very small, in fact the smallest pups in the litters, they were not interested much in their food no matter what the owners tried, two of them were PU/PD. The one I remember most was the yorkie, he was sooooo....tiny, very under weight, would have bouts of some neurological issues such as running in circles and also head pressing.
His owner would bring him in every other day just to weigh him.

Thank goodness the owner was such as great dog mom, she was on top of everything, had she not been "over reactive" (as she called herself) the dog probably would not have been diagnosed as quickly as he was.
We did the surgery, the dog did very well and is thriving. He is a maniac, and I will always remember when his owner called and was thrilled that he had actually caught and killed a mouse. Normally, that would have grossed her out but to see her little guy act totally normal thrilled her to no end.

Sorry so long, but I wanted to let you know that there are others out here who also freak out in advance of results, and that dogs with PSS can and do recover. Thank goodness you had blood work done. That is why I always suggest blood work on pets at least every year, heck my pets have blood work done every 6 months. Better to be proactive than reactive.
[notify]
Rambo

Rambo & Fancy CC- littermates

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 5:49pm PST 
Thanks for the reply, I almost missed it, been out of town. The bile acids came back positive, very high. The vet said it's probably a shunt, I just don't know about surgery....he said the definitive test is a nuc-med test, but that he was pretty sure it's the shunt. Rambo is about 6 pounds, growing just fine. No neuro signs, they will be six months on the 5th. We went ahead and got the Hills L/D he hates it!! I have to soak it in low sodium chicken stock. Also lactulose and neomycin. Rambo is not much of a poopper. Neither him or his sister eat much, maybe 1/2 -3/4 cup a day in 2 meals. She has always pooped 3 or 4 times a day and him maybe twice a day. Now with the laculose it's hard to get it right, too much gives him the runs, but if I cut just 1 ml, it almost back to normal. I'm taking sister Fancy to get spayed this week, hopefully her labs will be OK.
[notify]