GO!

Spaying an older dog.....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lilly

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 4:02pm PST 
Last weekend our family adopted an 8yo female labrador. Part of our adoption agreement is that we will have her spayed. She has had several litters of puppies in the past. We will be using the same vet that she has seen her whole life, so he is familiar with her medical history. We have scheduled the pre surgery blood work for April 15th, with the spay to follow on the 19th provided the bloodwork looks okay.

My previous dogs have all been spayed/neutered, but we always had it done MUCH earlier in their lives. Is there anything different that I should take into consideration post surgery with an older dog?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 5:05pm PST 
Aside from taking possibly a bit longer to heal,which may or may not be the case,it really shouldn't be much different. I have not personally had any of my own done that late but my mother was a hobby breeder many years ago and did have females done later in life when they were finished with showing and breeding and there really weren't any noticeable differences. As long as the blood work and everything comes out okay and there is no reason that anesthesia should be a problem,then recovery should be pretty much the same as it would be for a younger dog.wishes to you and Thank-you for adopting an older dog and giving it a good home in it's "Golden Years".flowers
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 6:51pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplause Congratulations on the new member of the family!!! I applaud your family for adopting a senior...that more people should be so inspired, older dogs are more terrific than puppies in my opinionsmile

I'm sure the spay will go fine, the vet knows her and knows her medical history...she'll do well. Might take a few more days to bounce back but otherwise there should be no problem. We've had many cats male and female fixed as adults and if anything they did better than the kittens.
[notify]

Lilly

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 9:44am PST 
Thanks for your responses. She is older, but still has a lot of get up and go, and her personality is fantastic. We're looking forward to many more years of her companionship. big grin
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 2:30pm PST 
Female dogs who are not spayed or who r spayed later on life r more likely to have mammary cancer so check for lumps ( just rub her belly she will love it) make sure u do this monthly because they can be removed if done early enough if u don't catch them they will spread. Congratulations on your new family member, this post wasn't meant to get u down I was just letting u know since u said u had always spayed or neutered ur pets when they were young.
[notify]