GO!

Hurt dog putting on leash, feel terrible!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ringo

Squirrel!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 7:42am PST 
My dog is a 15 lb Schnoodle, a little over a year old. He can be big-time puller, so for walks we use either a Gentle Leader or Easy Walk harness. However, for quick potty breaks I have been attaching a leash to his regular collar. I'm 8 months pregnant, so it's difficult for me to bend over to fuss with a harness every time.

Well, today I was trying to attach the leash and Ringo was squirming around, so he ended up choking himself. I didn't think anything of it at first, but he wheezed for several minutes. I immediately took his collar off. The only thing that got it to stop was me picking him up and relaxing him by petting--it was almost like a human panic attack, and he was shaking for a little while. Now he is fine. Eating and drinking like normal, no apparent breathing issues or cough.

I have two questions:

1. Should I be concerned about collapsed trachea, or could it have just been that it was irritated and he panicked?

2. I need an easy way to quickly attach a leash without hurting him. Is the Easy Walk harness okay to leave on him all day, or would it be too uncomfortable for him?

I just felt awful that I put him through that frown For a while we were able to make the short walk to our fenced yard off-leash, but one day he spotted a squirrel and that was the end of that.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:32am PST 
One thing I don't understand. If he had a collar on already and all you had to do was clip on the leash, how did you choke him?
[notify]
Ringo

Squirrel!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:40am PST 
The loop on his collar is kind of in an awkward place, and the end of the collar covers it. It can be difficult getting at it sometimes, and when he's squirming at the same time it's even harder. I am thinking a better collar might be in order, but at the moment I'm just hesitant to attach a leash to a collar at all with him.

One other thing I remembered...he just had his kennel cough shot. I wonder if he is a little extra sensitive from that? When we adopted him he had kennel cough pretty badly, and his reaction today as similar to what he went through then. I had forgotten about it until just now.
[notify]

Ringo

Squirrel!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:45am PST 
Not sure I explained clearly enough. The loop that I clip to is hard to access unless I hold onto his collar while I'm clipping the leash. So, I was holding the collar, and he twisted away, making himself gag. We're still working on him learning to sit still for things like that.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:22am PST 
That's strange. If the collar is such an issue just have him wear a harness all the time.

There were a time when jake would be excited about going outside too. And on those days we never went out on those days.

I don't think you've really hurt him. Probably just a scare.

I keep a collar on Jake just for ID purposes. I walk him on a harness for either his head or whole body. I've found the head one works best and He walks so much nicer. Eventually i'd like to go back to a back harness but he pulls a bit too much now that he's competing with Caroline on walks.

For my older basset I also only use a step in harness. Her collar is only for ID purposes.
[notify]
Ringo

Squirrel!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 10:37am PST 
Not sure if you have used an Easy Walk harness or not, but that's all I have at the moment. I'm just unsure if that would be okay for him to be in all day, or if it would be uncomfortable (it's a bit different from a "normal" harness). He tends to paw at the head harness if we leave it on him, so I've ruled that out. I can go get a different harness if I need to, but it would be nice if I could just leave him in the Easy Walk.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:44am PST 
I have one dog and a bazillion leashes, collars and harnesses.....

My favorite collar/leash is a martingale-leash I bought a decade ago at a dog show. It slips over the head and cannot close to choke the dog and the leash is attached. Love that thing, it is all tattered now. It looks like these but mine cost all of $10, maybe even $8.
http://www.genuinedoggear.com/dog_mart_leashes.html

I tried leaving the dogs in harnesses but it pulled out Max's fur and rubbed Sassy's armpits.
[notify]
Ringo

Squirrel!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 11:53am PST 
Oh, thank you! That looks like a really good solution that would be easy for me to do.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:09pm PST 
Ohh I like that collar max was talking about. That sounds like a great solution!

I've used an easy walker before but jake tends to just pull it loose. I had more sucess with the head harness. Jake fought his for about a month but he learned he doesn't get to go out unless it goes on. The one i bought by Premier i believe is also a regular collar so once were in teh car it converts to that. Or if we're sitting at a cafe or something.

Happy you found a possible solution!
cheer
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:40pm PST 
I see you've decided not to leave a harrness on him all day which is good because I was going to warn you that with his fur type it would cause matting! Jewel's a poodle mix and when she's long even wearing the harness for a long walk or with a sweater is enough to cause mats to start.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2