GO!

oh my she ate a bee

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
Hazel*adopte- d*

1288584
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:49pm PST 
I was outside with the dog not on a leash since we have a fenced in yard. Went away from the dog to pick up the dogs tennis ball. And out of the corner of my eye I see Hazel playing with something in the grass, then I realize it is a bee and then she ate it. Is she going to be okay, she seems fine she did drink a lot water but what should I watch out for? I don't think it stung her because she did not squeal or seem uncomfortable.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 3:57pm PST 
My first dog made it his goal in life to snatch as many bees out of the air as possible. I think unless the dog is allergic to bee stings, it shouldn't cause any harm.

A lot of dogs will snap at flying insects and sometimes actually do catch them. Onyx does it with flies and it's actually fairly amusing to watch.
[notify]
Fox

1178619
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:08pm PST 
Fox LOVES eating bees. Specifically bees. Flies and moths and such are just not the same.

I keep Benedryl on hand and watch for an allergic reaction, just in case. I'm certain she's been stung by this point, though, and nothing has happened. Sometimes an allergy can come with age, so I'm still careful. Otherwise I don't worry about it too much. Extra protein, as my dad would say...
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:00pm PST 
Jax used to eat wasps. Sometimes her tongue would bleed from being stung. She's didn't seem to care. I tried to keep her away from them, but every once in a while she would catch one. confused
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:00pm PST 
Jax used to eat wasps. Sometimes her tongue would bleed from being stung. She's didn't seem to care. I tried to keep her away from them, but every once in a while she would catch one. confused
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 5:20pm PST 
Rain ate a bee last summer, she had a horrible allergic reaction cry
I'd be watching for facial sweilling, excessive drooling and the dog not acting it's self, otherwise, should be fine
[notify]


Member Since
12/02/2012
 
 
Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 12:55am PST 
The bee probably didn't do any damage to your dog but if you think he may have been stung, look for signs of anaphylactic shock such as swelling, difficulty in breathing or any other change that seems out of your dog's normal behavior. Try monitoring your dog for a few hours.smile
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax
 
 
Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:29am PST 
bees are good for you. They're one of the tastier insects out there to eat as well. Other than the stinger, there's nothing to worry about a little old bee.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule
 
 
Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 4:51am PST 
well, I have to disagree

I know of 2 dogsters that have died because of bees

a long time ago, a shepard named levi ate a bee, the back of his tongue swelled and he died on the way to the Evet

and more recently, dear Keeko. he got his tongue stung, and chewed most of it off.after trying everthing possible, his heart broken mom had to send him to the bridge.
[notify]