GO!

PLEASE tell me there's other options?!? (Jasper's paralyzed from spinal cord injury)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 4:30pm PST 
There is a condition where fibrocartilage from an intervertebral disk can cause temporary paralysis that lasts about a month and gets better on its own, but a vet visit is in order.
[notify]
Jasper

JaspyBaby‚ô•

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 9:00pm PST 
Thank you all for your replies! I truly appreciate it and it means more to me than you'll ever know that all of you took the time to respond. I'm sorry it took so long to respond but I've just been busy with the lil guy.

I took JaspyBaby for his appointment at the animal hospital for the second opinion. The vet there was much more caring and encouraging and supportive than that first vet. She let me know that he is unfortunately paralyzed in his hindlimbs. But she DID confirm for me that he's not in any type of pain and in no time should be back to his normal self, mentally. She explained to me that it's going to be ALOT of work and time to care for him with conservative management but if I'm willing to do it then there is absolutely no reason why not to.

At this point she put him on a steroid, pain/discomfort medication, and muscle relaxer with strict crate rest for 6-8 weeks to allow the spine to heal before any therapy or carts or what not.

So, I'm going to just take it one day at a time and hope and pray for the best! We can use all the support and encouragement we can get smile
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 9:05pm PST 
Well, I am right here wave I've been through it....twice....with one small dog (a Dachs) and one huge GSD. Follow the cage rest thing to the letter. Does he have bladder control, or no?
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 9:38pm PST 
I'm happy your Jasper is not i any pain. I too will echo tiller. Follow the crate rest to a T. Jake was on strict crate rest for almost 3 months. Dogster was very supportive of me during that time.

We'll continue to send postive vibes your way.
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 10:39pm PST 
I'm so glad to hear that you got a second opinion and Jasper is going to be able to pull through this. Good luck and stay strong.

wishes
[notify]
Fancy

Fancy& Rambo- Chinese Crested- Littermates

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 12:59pm PST 
Big hugs to you and Jasper. We hope and pray for the best.wishes

Fancy and Rambo
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:28am PST 
Wonderful news! I'm so glad you got a second opinion and a more compassionate vet. I'll add my voice to following the crate rest to a T. Keep your spirits up, and maybe, while waiting out the healing period, go watch some videos of dogs with carts, and dogs doing water therapy.
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 11:17am PST 
My friends dog had a spinal cord injury and the vet said the only option would be to put him down but then he started walking again!
[notify]
Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 11:47am PST 
So glad you found some better news with the second vet. I have met a few dogs with spinal cord injuries and almost all of them continued on with happy lives. I hope your boy continues on the road to recovery, best wishes during this hard time. hug
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 5:47pm PST 
Thank dog for second opinions and it seems you found a vet that has experience with helping you with paralysis. I'm soooo glad you didn't give up. I LOVE that there are others here who can help you too.

We are here for you. good luck to jasper! You got lots of cheerleaders over here!

cheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3