GO!

Very Dissapointed With My Local Vets :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 9:28pm PST 
My friends dog was very sick recently. She had stolen a piece of food off the table on Thursday night and then started having diarrhea and vomiting the next day. She's always had a sensitive stomach so they didn't think anything of it. By Saturday she was completely lethargic, hadn't eaten since Thursday night and wasn't drinking water.
My friend called every vet in town and 2 from smaller towns outside of ours and not a single one would let her work out payment options so she could afford to get Roxy seen by the emergency vet! I couldn't believe it, the dog was VERY ill at this point and NEEDED to see the vet but my friend couldn't afford the $225 plus any actual tests they would have had to do. She rushed the dog into the vet Monday where she was diagnosed with Parvo, by that time she tested a "faint positive" and had actually managed to fight it off almost completely without medication. She got her some antibiotics to help with the last little bits and is doing much better.

I realize that they don't want to take the chance that you will bring your dog in and then just not make good on your end of the bargain to make the payments, losing money isn't usually a great way to make money but it just seems wrong to me that they would just let the dog suffer because they might not get paid. confused
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 10:01pm PST 
I'm sorry your friend had to go through that.
I went through the same thing back in 2002. My dog Kiko a 12yr old shepherd/husky mix ended up bloated at 3:00am on a Sunday night. I took her to the emergency vet who wanted $2000 up front. They wouldn't do anything for me. Kept telling me I was going to kill my dog if I left. I ended up taking her home and laying with her all night and rushing her to my vet in the morning. He took her in immediately. He called me a few hrs later and told me she was full of cancer and he had to put her to sleep on the table. My cost. $120 and that was with a separate cremation. Plus the real concern and caring of people who really love animals and took the time to comfort me.
I don't get it. It's the same thing with neutering and dentals. How can one vet charge $75 for a spay and another want $300. Same thing with dentals.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 6:21am PST 
That is a very sad story but the area I live in is the same way. The vet I use is a 30 mile trip one way,but worth every penny and every mile. He cares about the welfare of the animal first,payment last. He is open until 8p.m.,six days a week and even when we were new patients was willing to work out payment arrangements when necessary to get our severely allergic dog treatment right away when she needed it so she didn't have to suffer until we could afford to see him. His prices,depending on the proceedure or treatment are one-quarter to one-half what the vets within 10 minutes of my house charge and there are 5 of them. I hope your friend is able to find someone like the vet we have. We know how blessed we are to have him and have stuck with him through 3 dogs and 17 years,he has taken on some younger associates with the same attitude and philosophy he has and hopefully he and they will continue to provide the same wonderful service for many years to come.
[notify]

Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 4:26pm PST 
I love my small town vet, he will go to the office for emergency calls, take payment, once I was in such a hurry I left my purse. just grabbed dog and keys.

the ER vet in the city let my 70 year old aunt stand in the lobby crying with her 7 lb yorkie/affenpincer mix bleeding in her arms after being attacked by a lab till my sister got there with her credit card

what the heck????
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 6:29pm PST 
Evets are notoriously unsympathetic to things like this. I understand they need to financially protect themselves, but this "up front" cash thing with dogs literally bleeding out, a completely unprepared owner perhaps still in their jogging shorts? Sorry, that's disgusting. I think part of being an evet, where things are usually unexpected and very pricey, is being better prepared for these situations and to be able to handle them with a little more humanity and customer care. Bottom line, though, as most will be one time clients, they really don't have to.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 6:30pm PST 
I read a recent story recently of a lady whose DDB needed emergency surgery for pyometra. Her vet refused to accept payment options and turned her away and the same with the Emergency Vets too. This lady was desperate. Her dog urgently needed surgery so she posted for any help or advice online and got a great response. Eventually a rescue paid for the surgery themselves and agreed to the owner paying them back in installments. The dog is now recovering.

I kind of see both sides to these situations. Emergency Vets very rarely know their clients and therefore have no trust or background info as to how reliable the clients are. There is also the argument that if you don't have the money you shouldn't have a dog. Which is something quite a few people responded to the woman with the DDB about. But life isn't predictable and so many people in recent years are struggling with finances. I think it's unfair to make judgements about peoples financial status and assume they should have thousands of pounds in their savings account to cover such eventualities. Yes, that's the ideal situation. But it's not realistic IMO.

Thankfully my own vet has always allowed me to pay as i need to. So sometimes that has been in installments, or simply coming back with the money a week later or something, and other times i've been able to pay in full. I've been with them 10 years now though and a relationship has been built. They know from past experiences that i'm true to my word and always pay on time.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 9:32pm PST 
i had a similar issue with Jake when he was just new to me. I was new to dogs. And I probably would have lost him had i not had an emergency credit card.

His back went out on him and he was unable to stand and would tear the face off you if you tried to pick him up. One of the few times i ever had to muzzle my dog.

We drove to the evet and dispite the fact my dog could not stand and was yelping if even moved I wasn't allowed to see a vet until i gave them my credit card and tehy ran it for $100 starting fee. I spent over $750 in one night on jake. Thankfully i had that credit card or I'm sure I probably would have been lost since he needed emergency intervention for a bacterial infection he came to me with. But they were the only E vet in 50 miles so I was stuck.

I mean I could have called my personal vet because i've known him since i was 5 and he's saved my cats on numerous occations and taking payment second. Which is wonderful.

I don't particularly like e-vets but thankfully where i live now I have vet friends whom are close and help me out a lot.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 7:29am PST 
I have some friends that use a vet two hours away as their main vet and the local vet for things like ear infections and I just think they're putting their dogs lives at risk. In a serious ermergency I want to take my dog to someone that knows her and knows me and I don't want to drive two hours to get there!! I like to have a good relationship with the vet clinic, take them x-mas baking, buy small items from them or pop in to use the scale and visit. I personally think it's normal not to trust someone you don't know therefore wouldn't have expected a payment plan in the first year I had Jewel but the last time I was in for ER care I was offered it.
[notify]
Lexey..forev- er in my- heart

Rescue from your- local- Shelter!!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 8:05am PST 
frownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrown Sorry, if a dog needs emergency care they should receive it. If a patient walks into the hospital without insurance and no money they are not turned away. Why should it be any different for our beloved pets. If a vet goes into this field because of his love for animals how could any of them turn away a sick dog. My vets do emergency calls and will take payments. I have walked in with emergencies and they have not once asked for my payment up front. Shame on any vet that does this. Believe me...they are making plenty of money. I would never go back to a vet who turned an animal in need away. To me...its against their oath of practice. A lady brought a pigeon in that had been hit by a car...they saw the little bird immediately. I just do not understand any vet that would turn away an animal in need.confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused
[notify]
NOT- Hurricane- Sandy (aka- Thump

Stunned that- Dogster is going- away

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 8:46am PST 
My dad has a policy whenever we go to a new vet...especially an emergency vet...we check to see if there is a fund to help with low income families...

If they do have a fund and we have extra money we donate to that fund...sometimes that little bit will help save another's pet

So If you ever ever have the chance to do so try to donate a little to these funds it doesn't have to be a lot.

The first time Dad did this the little bit we donated saved the life of someones cat at the Emergency vet....they went in thinking they would need to put their cat to sleep but instead took him home after getting the help he needed
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2