GO!

Poop eater grosss

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Deia- *adopted *

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 5:52pm PST 
Deja my new foster puppy has a very bad nasty habit she tries to eat her own poop or other dogs poop. I am wondering if this is because she is on a very bad dog food (Purina)that is what the rescue gave us. Also she was a stray abandoned when she was a very little and am wondering if she ate her poop or other poop just to survive? Anything I can do to help this?
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:08pm PST 
It's highly unlikely she does this because of the food she is on. Princesse is on a very good food and will do this any chance she getssilenced She is litter trained so I pick up her poop ASAP. How does your dog have access? Some people swear by pineapple but it didn't seem to work for Princesse. I believe you can also get stuff from the vet , but cant remember what it is calledthinking
[notify]
Deia- *adopted *

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:54pm PST 
I pick up the poop in the front and backyard, she still tries to sometimes eat it after she goes I don't, let her she is on a leash and I pick it up right away. On walks if there is other dogs poop she will try to eat it, but I normally don't let her sniff all over the grass cause it is like she will search for it. I have heard about the pineapple and have not tried it but might.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:43pm PST 
If I might add...poop eating while nasty is pretty common with dogs, litter boxes and used diapers can be reaaally yummylaugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:34am PST 
Pineapple will only work if the dog is eating his OWN poop. It works by digesting the proteins better, the theory being that they eat their pup because the proteins are not totally digested.
However, IMO, they do it because they LIKE it and while it is disgusting to us, it is not disgusting to our dogs.
I have some that will only eat frozen poops. All mine will eat kitty poops if given the chance...my litter box is kept in an expen which works great.
Only other suggestion is to teach a strong "Leave it" command.
[notify]
Deia- *adopted *

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 5:19pm PST 
We are working on a leave it command, so that might help us. Honestly I have never owned a dog or puppy that has done this beforered face
So is this something she is going to continue doing all her life? I guess I am going to have to tell the potential adopters she eats poop how embarrassing. She is underweight at moment so she needs to put some weight on. I have consider switching her food to high quality but don't want to upset her stomach, both my other dogs eat orijen or acana kibble.
[notify]
H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 2:17pm PST 
Leave it won't work when you have the dog off leash and they find a nice pile of poo. You can shout leave it all you want but when the temptation is right under their nose and you're across the park, that poo will be eaten.
You may just have to always keep the dog on a leash, accompany her to the yard and pick anything up right away.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 3:01pm PST 
H., when my dogs hear "Leave it", they leave it, doesn't matter if they are on leash or off leash, right beside me or at the opposite end of an acre field. As long as they can hear my request, they WILL follow it, as does any well trained dog.
If your dog isn't obeying your leave it request, then yes, it probably does need a leash BUT, it also needs more training.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:40pm PST 
Dogs crave poop when they have a difficiency in potassium. If you feed it pieces of banana every day, that may curb its urge to eat poop after a week or two.

That said, my five year old dog has been picking my cats litter box clean since he was 9 months old no matter how much banana I give him.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 4:40am PST 
Guest, do you have any sources for the potassium causing stool eating???? I have researched stool eating forever and never heard that one.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2