GO!

false pregnancy

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sascha

Sascha - rather chase,- than eat

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:03pm PST 
Our Sascha is experiencing a false pregnancy to the point that she is now nesting with several of her favorite toys. She seems to be distraught since they
are not actually moving and making sounds. It was so sad for us to watch her actually "bury" one of the toys this morning, only to dig it up and bring it back into the house. This morning at 5 a.m., she brought one of them to us in our bedroom, whining and wanting us to pick up her toy. Do any of you have any suggestions on how we can alleviate her "grieving". I did speak with our vet and he suggested that it might be an ovarian cyst and that in time it would dissolve. But, if we could, we would like to alleviate her obvious distress.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:18pm PST 
Keep her busy. Lots of play, training, snuggles and kong toys.
Reading that made me kinda sad lol..
hug
[notify]
Sascha

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:23pm PST 
Thank you for your response. We do take her for some trips to get the mail, feed the deer, etc., and we do play her fav past time - chase the water from the water hose. It does seem to momentarily bring back the old spark in her, but as soon as I turn off the water, she heads back into the house and to her toys. I will continue to try to distract her.

We were even thinking of gradually (and carefully) removing and stashing a toy or two while she is busy outside until we get down the the last one. Hopefully then she will finally give this up.
[notify]

Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 7:48am PST 
A couple of my friends' unspayed but very well managed females regularly go through false pregnancies after their heats. If that is the issue, I wouldn't worry too much.
[notify]
Sascha

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 11:47am PST 
We really didn't worry much until she became obviously distressed and
depressed. A couple of days, she hardly moved from the area that she
has chosen to nest. We had to really encourage her to get up and play
a little bit. And, I think you are right in that with time she will
get beyond this. Even this morning, she seems much more animated and
willing to go outside and play a bit longer. Right now, she is back to
her nest. We just hate to see her so confused and unhappy.
[notify]
Sascha

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:35am PST 
Sascha spent the night bringing her toys to us and whining. This morning
she is again trying to bury the one toy that she carries around the most.
We are just letting her do what she is so desperate to do. We only hope
that this will pass soon. cry
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:46am PST 
Missy used to do the same thing during her phantom pregnancies, lots of nest building, carrying stuffed toys around, whining etc.

We kept her as busy as possible and we tried not to pay much attention to her behaviour with the stuffed toys. It would only make it worse if we kept moving/removing them. We left them out but with the increase in walks she started losing interest in the toys and eventually, after a couple of weeks ( can't remember exactly ) she was back to normal.

Sascha should be back to her normal self soon enough. Just keep up the exercise and keeping her busy.
[notify]
Sascha

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 7:24pm PST 
Sascha is finally getting back to her "old self". I have to admit that removing the one toy that she obsessed over has helped. She does still bring
us some of her other toys, but quickly looses interest. [Sigh].... thank goodness!!!!!
[notify]