GO!

Ears

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:30pm PST 
What's the best way to get a dogs ears cleaned out?
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:35pm PST 
I need to know the answer to this one too..Neva ears get dirty quick...
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:33am PST 
Gently lift the ear straight up to open up the ear canal, then pour the ear cleaning solution into the ear canal. Pour in enough ear cleaning solution till you can see it filling up inside of the ear canal. Gently massage the base of the ear till you can hear a smacking or squishing sound and then take cotton ball and wipe out the ear, then let the dog shake the rest of the ear cleaning solution out of the ear.

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 11:42am PST

[notify]

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:33pm PST 
I wrap some gauze around my finger and drench it with the ear cleaning solution then just stick my finger in their ears and clean them. Sort of like a giant cotton swab. It also depends on what your dog will let you do. My Charley, rest his soul, pit bull, great dog in every way but wouldn't let anyone touch his ears and sometimes they got so dirty that they got infected. It would cost me $200 to get his ears cleaned cause the vet would have to put him out in order to clean them.

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 12:37pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:22pm PST 
I would be careful with pouring the solution directly into the dog's ear. That is what the directions on a lot of the bottles says to do, but most dogs absolutely hate it. I started out doing that and Onyx let me do it a few times, then he put his paw down and absolutely won't allow it anymore. Makes cleaning his ears a real pain because even though I just swab them out with a cotton round dampened with the solution now, he doesn't trust I'm not going to dump liquid in his ear again.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:28pm PST 
I agree with you uch onyx
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:57pm PST 
My previous post was how my veterinarian told me to clean a dogs ears. She told me that just wiping with a cotton ball soaked in ear cleaning solution didn't clean as thoroughly and could push wax and debris further into the ear canal. Most dogs can be counter conditioned to accept ear cleaning but of course there are some dogs who will hate any kind of ear cleaning no matter what. Just do what you and your dog are comfortable with and speak with your Vet if you have any concerns.

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 8:09pm PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 5:08am PST 
Don't pour it, squirt it. I always ask my vet for instructions. She tells me one good squirt in each ear and then gently rub the ears and wipe the inside carefully with a cotton ball.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:03am PST 
Oh, geeze, maybe I should have said "apply the ear cleaning solution liberally" or "put the ear cleaning solution into the ear" instead of pour. Maybe then my post wouldn't have been dissected so much. Sorry for my poor word choice.

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '13 7:07am PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:45am PST 
I wasn't trying to attack your post. I do agree that putting the solution directly in the ear does a better job cleaning. I was just pointing out that depending on the dog's temperament, it can cause problems. If I could go back and do it again, I'd introduce rinsing with the solution much more gradually to my dog, rather than going whole hog the first time.
[notify]