GO!

5 month old Chihuahua starts treatment (mitaban dip)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 4:01pm PST 
Um...one caution on the ivermectin.
According to the OP's page, Neva's dam is a merle.

Now...I don't know if this is true, but some say merle in Chi's has come from cross breeding a while back.

One of the major reservoirs of merle genes in dogs are the collie breeds.
Collie types are also prone to having the MDR1 mutation- a mutation that can make large doses of ivermectin (such as those used to treat mange) fatal.

So...caution may be the best course...
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 5:54pm PST 
I thinking about going to another vet I'm not sure...She is lethargic like..weak..sedated...I had her on her belly to rub her and she looked comfy, my finger came towards her nose and she nipped at me...

She has been sleeping most of the day...I noticed that her anal area looks odd..it looks open...and I squeezed it a little and a brown liquid with a smell came out..not a lot...

She is peeing where ever she is...she will eat..she will drink...

When I picked her up..she looked like she was back in shape somewhat..she was excited to see me and to go with me...Now at night fall, she is back like she was the other night...

I feel like I made a bad decision somewhere...I'm lost

I'm going to start a youtube channel(chihuahua) so that people can see..I don't see a lot on mitaban dip...
I hope she can pull through this because I'm really nervous...

Thanks for all the support

PS

Neva hasn't pooped since she been home.
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:31pm PST 
ok...she pooped...lol
[notify]

Wilbur

Can I bite your- toes?

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:32pm PST 
It is not unusual for puppies (especially small breed) to be lethargic (and sometimes even have vomiting) after having a Mitaban dip. Mitaban dips can be done at full strength (which is usually a 10.6ml bottle to 2 gallons of water), double strength (10.6ml bottle to 1 gallon water) or 1/2 strength (5.3mls Mitaban to 2 gallopns water- which is the preferred strength for small/sensitive dogs). Many times if we get in a very sensitive dog at work, we will lengthen the tiem in between dips as well as cutting the stength AND shortening the time the dip is done (the pet should be dipped for about 20 minutes and then allowed to completely air dry, unless it is a very sensitive dog).
Ask your vet what strength they are dipping your baby at and for how long. Also make sure htey are checking the temperature of your baby every 10-15 minutes.
Ivermectin can also be used to replace to Mitaban- but as a couple others have said, should be used with caution as some dogs (especially merles) can be VERY sensitive to ivermectin.
Hope your baby gets to feeling better. hugfrown
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:35pm PST 
Has your Vet checked her for hypoglycemia, she is such a tiny girl and sometimes the little ones have trouble regulating their glucose especially when their bodies are in a stress situation such as recovering from mange. You said she is eating so low glucose should not be the problem, I am referring to where you said she was acting sedated, stumbling and shaking, these symptoms can all be from hypoglycemia but also side effects from Mitaban, especially the sedation like episodes. Normally the sedation episodes will subside within a few hours but can last longer.
Also, what does your Vet say about using Ivermectin instead of Mitaban dips, some dogs have problems with Mitaban, usually Ivermectin is the choice over Mitaban, even if it is considered off label. In all the years I have been a Vet Tech (17) I think I have only seen Mitaban used a handful of times and not with great success, rough on the dog and owner.
I do hope your cuteness pup will soon be feeling better, poor her.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 3:13am PST 
I would talk to another vet. A second opinion can't hurt and your one doesn't seem to be taking your concerns seriously.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 3:14am PST 
Also, if the vet is staying away from ivermectin because of the possibility that she has the MDR1 mutation, there is a test available that can determine whether she has it or not.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/test.aspx
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:39am PST 
Hi Mitchell-Rap

Yes I believe so because her mom is merle...is the reason he didn't do Ivermectic.She is doing much better today..OMG! I'm so happy....She is all around the house..she has a little of her spunk back..she seems to be up under me even more after caring for her under her worst symptoms. He didn't want to do another treatment until next week, he wants to give her some time. He told me that he got some more Mitaban in yesterday but didn't want to treat her so soon. Also I read up on Hypoglycemic issues with chihuahua's before I bought her so that I can be aware of it and know when I see this happening. It didn't appear that way. Today I am happy because after being sick, she has gained more trust in me..I love that feeling because she is only five months.
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:46am PST 
Hi Wilbur, Thanks for all the wonderful information you gave me here..Very informative!!!

applauselaugh out loudcheer

Neva says she is doing much better..I want to go out and play but mommy says, it's too cold...lol My mom says she is also thinking about starting a youtube channel for us because she wants people to see and be aware...She taped some of my most embarrassing moment.

She didn't see many videos on this issue sooooooooo... this will be a beginning and if you all wanna check me out from time to time...you can come there...
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 7:52am PST 
Fritz..I will do that....very soon
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3