GO!

5 month old Chihuahua starts treatment (mitaban dip)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:55pm PST 
Today Neva started her treatment and she is weak and she isn't very balanced...she is eating a lot..I'm not sure how much I should let her eat since she isn't feeling well..She is sleeping a whole lot.. I'm more worried now than when I brought her to the vet but I was told that this was the right thing to do and I want to help her.

For all that aren't aware...I bought her and she has a generalized demodectic mange. I was just told by the breeder that another one of the same litter has the same issue. BUT ANWAY!! BACK TO MY BABY

Anyone have any experience and know what I can do to help and comfort her while she is going through treatments?

I really need some opinions..I have been holding her the whole while she's been home..I don't want to put her down and I'm very uncertain on what to do....
[notify]
Sophie

I'm sweet but- sassy!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:03pm PST 
I don't have any advice on the subject as I am not educated on it. But I do want to say I am sorry you and Neva are going through this. frown HUGS! big hug

I know these lil fur balls may be just that to other people, but to us their owners, they are our babies!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 3:27am PST 
I just did a search, it said if the dog has trouble with the mitaban dip, ivermectin can be used. It also said most puppies have close to a 100% recovery from mange.

Look into an alternate treatment if you see too many problems.

Hugs, good luck
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 5:14am PST 
Fritz do you have a link? I found this and thought it was helpful too:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/demodectic-mange-dogs

I am thinking of her and hoping everything goes well. Keep coming back here for support and talk to your vet if you have questions as well. I wish I had more info but I don't know much about mange. I just hope she feels better really soon hughughughughughug
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:21am PST 
2/20

Today Neva seems to be more alert but she still appears to be weak, she followed me around for a short period of time and then went to lay in the dog bed by the heater and she appeared to be cold..She loves to lay on my lap with the heater right in front and I will do this as long as it makes her comfy.

After dropping my kids off at school and coming back, I notice that she had vomited in her kennel. It appears to be dog food because she was pigging out that night before sleeping..she must of felt nauseated.

She was shaking a lot so I put her sweater on and sat in front of the heater with her on my lap... I noticed a little discharge or morning boogers in her eyes..not a lot..

I plan on calling the vet around 9am when they open to ask more questions....
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:27am PST 
that's a good idea...if the dip is making her naseaus. The good news is she is eating and that's always a good thing big grin
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:57am PST 
Yea...eating is great..but it was odd because she was stumbling and eating...she was really off balance yesterday but a little better today....
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:14am PST 
Neva is back at the vet...I'll be picking her up at 3 pm
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:34pm PST 
Okay...Neva is back she is responding better but still appears to be a little weak but looks likely to recover...she is still cold because she has lost a great amount of fur off her back and head.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 3:18pm PST 
clicky clicky
clicky

I don't think these are the links I found this morning, but it is a place to start. Be aware that I have not checked the links as credible sources. I would use the information to talk to the vet or do further searches for more information.

Good Luck
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3