GO!

care after spay

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 6:58am PST 
Lexus is booked in to get spayed next week.
I am sure my vet will give me some after care and things like that but I wanted to hear some tips from you all as well.
I want to keep her as comfortable as I can afterwards. And with our other dog Mika......they play A LOT!!!
Is this o.k? Or should I limit it? Will she be in a lot of pain when it is done? Should I hold off the walks and whatnot till she is healed? And also, how long roughly will she take to heal and be able to resume play and walks?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I care for her properly, and my dogs have always been spayed or nuteured so I have not done this part before.
And they said she has to spend the night there frown
I know she needs to but, that is going to be hard for me
[notify]
Sparkles

Wait for me!!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:56am PST 
None of my puppies ever spent the night but I guess each very is different. Sparkles went in at 9am for hers and i picked her up by 2pm though she was pretty out of it. Some dogs after spay will be very sore and confused. They lay around for a day or two and then try to get back to normal. Some will come home acting like nuts and as if nothing even happened. You definitely will need to limit activities. No rough playing, no baths and probably no walks for AT LEAST a week. It usually takes two weeks for the sutures to heal and be removed (or dissolve depending on what your vet choses). The hardst part of it all is keeping them from hurting themselves. They want to play and run and jump but can't understand why they're not aloud. Good luck!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 9:17am PST 
Varies from dog to dog. My Golden was acting like nothing had happened right after she woke up from her spay. Vet techs even mentioned how spry she was, and she was spayed at four years old. I've only had the one female, but mine didn't stay overnight. We picked her up pretty much right after she woke up. But since yours is staying, you shouldn't have to worry as much about possible nausea afterward, which was the one thing my Golden had post spay. Some vets give pain meds and some don't. Might be something to ask about.

Definitely restrict activity. I wouldn't let them play together for a little while, just because it can escalate so quickly. Recovery time will again depend on the dog. Depending on how she's feeling, easy walks might be okay after a few days. My Golden was raring to go the morning after, but you don't want to tear stitches. Definitely invest in some frozen Kongs, raw meaty bones, bully sticks, ect. to keep her occupied because she might have the energy and desire to exercise before her body is really healed enough to.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 11:30am PST 
Ideally you should follow the after care to the letter...maybe keep her away from the others at least overnight. She'll possibly be woozy and sore, plus the other dogs might be rowdier with her smelling like vet office.

The afternoon we brought Sophie home from spaying she was fresh out of a city shelter and smelled like a dumpster-I think they only sanitized the surgery site. Stitches and all I had to give her a good shampooing. Fortunately everything healed with no fuss.

Callie had his first meeting with Sophie a few hours after his surgery. You could tell he was dazed from the painkillers but I didn't have anywhere to put him to recuperate privately. Actually he happily began to play with her. He limped up the stairs for a few days after, but otherwise he was fine and healed even faster than she did. I think it's a bit more complicated with girls.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:08pm PST 
O.k thanks everybody. I will definitely keep a close watch on the 2 playing together. And keep them separated for a least the first night when she comes back.
The vet said they dont use stitches, they use the glue stuff. So she wont have to have them removed. I wish she didn't have to spend the night, I wonder if I could ask about bringing her home the same day. I would be much more comfortable with that. I will ask about the pain killers for afterwards also. Hope it all goes well confused
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:38pm PST 
Garnet had the glue on her belly after her spay but the glue didnt really hold and she had to be taken in to her regular vet who ended up putting three stitches in her belly. She was also developing an infection in the incision. Thankfully her vet is really good and she was back to normal within a few hours after having her belly stitched up. The first couple days after her spay she didnt eat or drink or even want to go out to potty or anything other than lay in the chair or on the floor in front of the heater and she still shivered. I ended up calling her vet and getting her in for a check up and thats when he said she was getting an infection. Now however she has to have x-rays on her right rear leg.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 7:44am PST 
Thats not good, do you think I should ask for the stitches instead then?
[notify]
Tipper

The puppy on the- Stairs.

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 8:42am PST 
The glue worked well for me. Talk to your vet about your concerns, also ask if anyone is at the office to monitor the animals overnight. If not, I would insist on taking her home.
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:09am PST 
Its really up to you. I dont know if it was just because of the fact that the humane society's "neuter scooter" vet was pressed for time as they only have openings for I think they said four or five dogs each month or if she just didnt give the glue enough time to set up or what but at least my Garnet is healthy now. She went in weighing 9.8 pounds and in just a few days after her spay she was down to 9.6 pounds and was kinda looking too thin to me. But in two weeks after her vet fixed the site she was up to what she weighs now at 10.8 pounds.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:41pm PST 
O.k good idea, I will ask if there will be someone there with her.....if not she should come home same day.
Garnet, I am glad she got back to her healthy weight, that is scary!
I will talk to the vet about pro's and con's of both....thanks guys
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3